We Went Presidential at Wednesday Trivia
Wednesday’s opening round featured such topics as cartoon owls, an over/under question where the answers were either below or above the number 70. We then asked a change a letter question that saw only one team earn their bonus points.
- Change one letter in this word, and you’ll go FROM the name of the arcade game which was the sequel to ‘Galaxian,’ TO another term for the African mammal, also known as a ‘bushbaby. Please identify either one for your wager, or both for a two-point bonus.
Exactly one team got both of those words. We were looking for Galaga and Galago.
We also studied our knowledge of the Louisiana Purchase. Thanks to the galago question only one Wednesday team,Titanic was an Inside Job (Hops N Shine) stormed out of the game with a perfect first round score of 36 points.
Wednesday’s audio question featured clips from the tv sitcoms Sanford and Son, Frasier, and Mike & Molly. Other second round topics included the film Gladiator, the Kansas City Royals Hall of Famer George Brett, carnations, and we finished the round with questions about Nevada and Utah. the insurance company MetLife , and the small European countries known as Liechtenstein and Luxembourg. Two teams earned a perfect 36 points to close out a perfect second round: Stinkfist (Idiom), and Seasoned B Cups (T. J. Stone’s).
Wednesday’s halftime page featured celebrities whose names featured a “HA” somewhere in it and constellations. The average score reached 15.7 points, while eight teams earned a perfect 20 on their halftime score. These were your highest scoring teams at Wednesday’s halftime break:
- Titanic was an Inside Job (Hops N Shine): 87
- Virtual Cigar (Hops N Shine): 86
- Oh Wait (Hops N Shine): 86
- Stinkfist (Idiom): 86
- Questioning Authority (Memories Charcoal House): 85
Wednesday’s third stanza began with a question about a historical speech from Abraham Lincoln. Other topics included the animal known as a Razorback, a three-part question about fairies where the answers were “Little Bunny Foo Foo,” mushrooms, and A Midsummer Night’s Dream, the late jazz great BB King, and we finished up the round with a question about the show Penny Dreadful.
Six teams earned a perfect 36 points in Round Three.
After visiting the Netherlands for the 6-4-2 question we began Round Four. Final round topics from Wednesday night included back-to-back questions on the categories of world geography and professional wrestling where the percentage of correct answers was only 33%.
- Almost the entire border between these two nations is formed by The Yalu River and The Tumen River. For your wager, name either of these two countries.
- Who is the only WWE superstar to have won the Royal Rumble on three separate occasions, doing so in 1997, 1998, and 2001?
The answers to these questions were North Korea and China and “Stone Cold” Steve Austin.
Other topics included the discovery of King Tut, the Ford Thunderbird, and people with the last name of Henson.
Virtual Cigar (Hops N Shine) was the only team that posted a perfect score of Wednesday’s final round. After four rounds of play, these teams topped the overall leaderboard:
- Titanic was an Inside Job (Hops N Shine): 162
- Virtual Cigar (Hops N Shine): 156
- Scott Looks Different (Memories Charcoal House): 156
- Oh Wait (Hops N Shine): 155
- Questioning Authority (Memories Charcoal House): 150
FINAL QUESTION (8.9% success rate):
- Serving nine terms in Congress, which former Civil War general is the last man to be elected President directly from the House of Representatives?
Only eight teams responded correctly with the James Garfield. No team posted a Perfect 21 by answering every wagering question correctly. Wednesday’s final leaderboard included these teams:
- Titanic was an Inside Job (Hops N Shine): 169
- Oh Wait (Hops N Shine): 167
- Stinkfist (Idiom): 159
- Let’s Have Another Round (T. J. Stone’s): 146
- Scott Looks Different (Memories Charcoal House): 145
- Virtual Cigar (Hops N Shine): 144
- Whiskey & Sunshine (Sully’s Pour House): 143
- I Love Baby Hippos (T. J. Stone’s): 142
- Questioning Authority (Memories Charcoal House): 142
- Marco Polo and the Peanuts (Idiom): 137
Falling Branch Brewery in Street, MD: I’m Useless (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Digits of Pi)
Belles’ Sports Bar in Frederick, MD: Demented and Sad but Social (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: TBD)
Memories Charcoal House in Mount Airy, MD: Scott Looks Different (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Triple 50/50: Ghostbusters I and II)
TGI Fridays in Hagerstown, MD: Phantom Thieves (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Japanese RPG’s)
Idiom Brewing in Frederick, MD: Stinkfist (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Elizabeth Dole)
Axes and O’s in Sterling, VA: Dumb, Dumber, and Dumbest (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Cannabis)
Hops N Shine in Alexandria, VA: Titanic was an Inside Job (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Famous Horses)
Sully’s Pour House in Herndon, VA: Whiskey & Sunshine (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: The Witcher)
T. J. Stone’s in Alexandria, VA: Let’s Have Another Round (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Seinfeld)
Comus Inn in Dickerson, MD: NO GAME THIS WEEK (FIRST CATEGORY ON JANUARY 12: Light Beer Brands)