Tuesday Trivia is Fired Up!
Pour House Trivia was back on Tuesday with four more rounds of questions for 167 teams at a total of 16 local venues.
For the most part, the first round’s pack of questions was no trouble for our teams. We discussed Last Week Tonight with John Oliver and the flush hand in poker before the final question proved a little difficult:
- Which two countries ranked second and third behind the U.S. for the most billionaires according to the 2022 list from Forbes?
About 69% of the field was able to name either China or India to receive their wager, but only 6.5% gave both correct answers to get bonus points. That latter figure was the lowest bonus success rate of the game. Partly because of that, no teams earned perfect scores in the first round.
Tuesday’s audio clue provided clips from three futuristic films: A Clockwork Orange, Demolition Man, and Minority Report. A little more than half of our teams were able to name at least two of those films, while a round-low 19% earned the two-point bonus for getting all three correct answers. After a question on a volcano‘s pyroclastic flow, we reached the hardest wagering chance of the first half:
- Which National League team entered the majors as an expansion team in 1962, set a major league record by losing 120 games in its first season of existence, then defeated the Baltimore Orioles seven years later to win the World Series?
That 1962 team wasn’t so amazin’, but they were the inaugural New York Mets, which 46% of the field got right. The round finished up talking about the ashtray built into Franklin Roosevelt’s wheelchair, as well as the record-setting sales for the works of author Agatha Christie. This round was the only one of the night where multiple perfect scores were recorded, as six teams put up the full 36 points.
The halftime page on Tuesday contained famous TV twins and Disney villains by song lyrics, and just one team — Distilled‘s Bad Spellers — came through it with a perfect score! The average score across the entire field was 14.7 points. Going into the halftime break, these were the top-scoring teams:
- Comfortably Dumb (Smoketown Creekside): 88
- Just For Fun (Dudley’s): 88
- Our Drinking Team Has a Trivia Problem (Dudley’s): 87
- Fan Club (Gentleman Jim’s): 86
- Lake Okeechobee Gang (Dudley’s): 86
What otherwise ended up as a pretty successful third round overall was tempered by far and away the most difficult wagering question of the game. The round started innocently enough discussing the Tenderfoot Boy Scout rank, the scientific definition of dusk, and a three-parter on 46th birthday boy Benedict Cumberbatch, but the next question hit hard:
- Which personal hygiene product once used the advertising slogan Anything less would be uncivilized?
Right Guard was successfully named by only 11% of Tuesday’s squads. We bounced back to end the round with a question about The Who‘s album, Live at Leeds. The only perfect third-round score was earned by Our Drinking Team Has a Trivia Problem (Dudley’s).
Tommy Lee Jones was the subject of Tuesday’s 6-4-2, where 30% of the field got all six points by naming him from just a single clue. Round four began with a question on college coach and football award namesake John Heisman. After that, we turned to children’s television for the round’s toughest wagering question:
- Currently streaming on Disney Plus, which animated children’s series features a female Australian Cattle Dog as its title character?
That show, Bluey, was the correct answer for 38% of our teams. From there, we had Three Clues about Oklahoma, talked about the canonization aspect of Roman Catholic sainthood, and named the three liquors in a Three Wise Men drink. In this round, the only perfect score was reached by We Thought This Was Speed Dating (The Zone). This quintet led everyone before the final question:
- Just For Fun (Dudley’s): 164
- Our Drinking Team Has a Trivia Problem (Dudley’s): 162
- Way Off Base (Nighthawk): 158
- Low Rollers (Vibrissa): 156
- We Thought This Was Speed Dating (The Zone): 156
FINAL QUESTION (39.5% success rate):
- Which fictional character introduced in 1944 was originally named Hot Foot Teddy?
That initial name soon became the moniker we know the character as today: Smokey Bear. Only we could have prevented a Perfect 21, as no team answered all 21 wagering questions correctly on Tuesday. The night’s final standings were led by these teams:
- Just For Fun (Dudley’s): 175
- Our Drinking Team Has a Trivia Problem (Dudley’s): 174
- We Thought This Was Speed Dating (The Zone): 168
- Wiseacres (Distilled): 164
- Supernovas (Dudley’s): 162
- How I Met Ronnie (Cuginis): 160
- Woof (Solace Outpost): 159
- Blood Legion (Gentleman Jim’s): 158
- Killer Snails (Olney): 158
- DC Swampers (Olney): 158
Vibrissa Beer and Kitchen in Front Royal, VA: Low Rollers (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Jurassic Park)
Cuginis Restaurant in Poolesville, MD: How I Met Ronnie (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Penn State University)
Upper Deck in Mount Airy, MD: Fabulous Killjoys (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: 1969 Songs)
Olney Winery in Olney, MD: Killer Snails (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Grease)
Dudley’s Sport and Ale in Arlington, VA: Just For Fun (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Mel Brooks Films)
Ramparts Tavern & Grill in Arlington, VA: Stamp Collectors (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Teenage Sex Comedy Films)
Solace Outpost in Falls Church, VA: Woof (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Pitch Perfect)
Smoketown Creekside in Frederick, MD: Flaming Cheese (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Turkish Cuisine)
Distilled in Frederick, MD: Wiseacres (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: The Great Lakes)
Antietam Brewery in Hagerstown, MD: Offbeats (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: The Who (audio))
Gentleman Jim’s in Gaithersburg, MD: Blood Legion (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Poisonous Plants)
Nighthawk Pizza in Arlington, VA: Way Off Base (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: U.S. Geography)
Coach’s Corner Grill in Purcellville, VA: Blinded By the Wine (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Virginia Wines)
Chalkboard Wings & BBQ in Alexandria, VA: Hot Tub Hijinks (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Skyscrapers)
The Zone in Ashburn, VA: We Thought This Was Speed Dating (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Ted Lasso)
Elo’s Italian Restaurant in Alexandria, VA: That Is Correct (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Conspiracy Theories)
Tommy Joe’s in Bethesda, MD: Cream Team (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Yu-Gi-Oh Duelist Kingdom)