Tuesday Trivia Hits the Jets!
Eighteen area venues welcomed a total of 171 teams on Tuesday evening for a little Pour House Trivia fun. We also welcomed Ledo Pizza in Chambersburg, PA into the PHT family with its debut game!
In the first round, we started with the reign of Ferdinand Marcos as president of the Philippines, then went to the box office for the hardest wagering question:
- Depicting a pair of siblings trying to capture video proof of a UFO, the current sci-fi horror film Nope is the third feature film directed by which former sketch comedy TV star?
Jordan Peele, the director of Nope, was correctly named by 85% of our teams. The most difficult bonus chance of the round came at the end, where just under a third of the field guessed both AL East teams to send six players to this year’s MLB All-Star Game, the New York Yankees and Toronto Blue Jays. In all, 18 teams notched perfectos to kick things off.
We took to the friendly skies for Tuesday’s audio question, a trio of songs about flying. For the first half’s toughest wagering query, we flashed back to an infamous incident in the 1990s sporting world:
- An assault committed against which athlete in January of 1994 resulted in jail sentences for Shawn Eckhardt, Jeff Gillooly, and Shane Stant?
That would be the attack on Olympic figure skater Nancy Kerrigan, successfully answered by 73% of our teams. The game’s hardest bonus question ended this round, when we asked about actress Barbra Streisand; just 7% got those two extra points for knowing her most recent film credit is 2012’s The Guilt Trip. Perfect scores in this round went out to Museum of Salt and Pepper Shakers (Solace Outpost) and General Tsao’s Chicken (Smoketown Creekside).
Teams had to figure out colorful celebrity names and the breeds of some famous pop culture dogs for Tuesday’s halftime page, and it wasn’t easy. The average score was just 13.8 points, although 29 teams did get a perfect score. We reached the intermission with this look at the top of the leaderboard:
- Quizzy McTriviaface (Antietam): 91
- I’m in Love with Stacy’s Mom (Dudley’s): 90
- Our Defending Champions (Cuginis): 90
- Pho Q (Coach’s Corner): 89
- Museum of Salt and Pepper Shakers (Solace Outpost): 89
- Austikee (Olney): 89
The second half of play began with the hardest wagering opportunity of the third round:
- The stage musical Kiss Me, Kate and the teen comedy film 10 Things I Hate About You were both adapted from which Shakesperean comedy featuring characters such Katherina and Bianca?
Roughly 68% of our teams were able to answer correctly with The Taming of the Shrew, while a round-low 23% added bonus points for knowing Petruchio is the name of the male lead in that literary work. We forged ahead to topics like the ancient Daoism religion, Three Clues about the word vanity, and young Album of the Year Grammy winners Taylor Swift and Billie Eilish. Eleven teams got through this round with perfect scores.
The night’s 6-4-2 about the word rainbow saw eight teams guess it from the first clue for all six points. The hardest wagering question of the game came early in this round, on an A+B=C:
- What is the sum of the number of vertices on a cube plus the number of equal sides on a scalene triangle?
That answer was 8, as a cube has eight vertices and a scalene triangle has no sides with the same length; 52% of the field hit that nail on the head. Otherwise, we had questions on U.N. member states Egypt and Kuwait, the use of gas masks in World War I, and the warning not to ingest poppy seeds before a drug test, as they could trigger a false positive. Seven teams had perfect scores here. The top five scores before the final question were split across three venues:
- I’m in Love with Stacy’s Mom (Dudley’s): 162
- Quizzy McTriviaface (Antietam): 161
- Irish Beer Mafia (Antietam): 161
- Museum of Salt and Pepper Shakers (Solace Outpost): 161
- Supernovas (Dudley’s): 160
FINAL QUESTION (53.2% success rate):
- During his 13-year professional career, which quarterback lost more games than he won, appeared in only three postseason games, threw 47 more interceptions than touchdowns, and yet was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in his third year of eligibility in 1985?
What may not be an impressive resume on the surface removes the fact that one of those postseason games was a win in Super Bowl III for Hall of Famer Joe Namath. Five teams notched the Perfect 21 on Tuesday by giving correct answers to all 21 of our wagering questions! Final scoring leaders are listed below:
- I’m in Love with Stacy’s Mom (Dudley’s): 174
- Museum of Salt and Pepper Shakers (Solace Outpost): 173
- Pho Q (Coach’s Corner): 171
- Fan Club (Gentleman Jim’s): 170
- Our Defending Champions (Cuginis): 170
- Supernovas (Dudley’s): 169
- Full Frontal Nerdity (Gentleman Jim’s): 169
- Killer Snails (Olney): 169
- FIVE TEAMS TIED WITH 168 POINTS
Little Brains, Big Egos (Distilled) receives an honorable mention for scoring a game-high 176 points, although they did so playing over the limit with more than seven team members.
Vibrissa Beer and Kitchen in Front Royal, VA: Team of One (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Scientific Plant Names)
Cuginis Restaurant in Poolesville, MD: Our Defending Champions (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: The Old Man (FX series))
Upper Deck in Mount Airy, MD: Morgan Station (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Gymnastics)
Olney Winery in Olney, MD: Killer Snails (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Paul Sorvino)
Dudley’s Sport and Ale in Arlington, VA: I’m in Love with Stacy’s Mom (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Classic Hanna-Barbera Cartoons)
Ramparts Tavern & Grill in Arlington, VA: Stamp Collectors (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Modern Sporting Rifles)
Solace Outpost in Falls Church, VA: Museum of Salt and Pepper Shakers (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Garth Brooks)
Smoketown Creekside in Frederick, MD: Comfortably Dumb (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Bond Girls)
Distilled in Frederick, MD: Deep Fried Pickle Rick (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Rick and Morty)
Antietam Brewery in Hagerstown, MD: Offbeats (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: The Police (audio))
Gentleman Jim’s in Gaithersburg, MD: Fan Club (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Cary Grant Films)
Nighthawk Pizza in Arlington, VA: Way Off Base (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: NBA MVPs)
Coach’s Corner Grill in Purcellville, VA: Pho Q (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Green Bay Packers History)
Chalkboard Wings & BBQ in Alexandria, VA: Radar O’Reilly (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Big East Basketball)
The Zone in Ashburn, VA: Team One (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Disney Films)
Ledo Pizza in Chambersburg, PA: The Circumcision Went Well (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Seinfeld)
Elo’s Italian Restaurant in Alexandria, VA: Just Guessing (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Austrian Geography)
Tommy Joe’s in Bethesda, MD: Cream Team (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: TLC Reality Shows)