Tuesday Trivia, Galaxy Defenders!
A very sweet sixteen venues provided Tuesday’s night Pour House Trivia events for a total of 173 teams, including 18-teamers at both Nighthawk Pizza and Solace Outpost – Navy Yard! We also had a warm welcome ready for the newest Pour House location, Rhodeside Grill in Arlington, VA.
Another Tuesday, another set of teams cruising through the opening round with flying colors. We discussed Three Clues about the number 100,000, the President’s State of the Union Address, and the upcoming film Ticket to Ride featuring George Clooney and Julia Roberts. A whopping 43 teams had perfect scores in this round.
Tuesday’s audio clue played a trio of songs and asked teams to name the U.S. city redacted from each set of lyrics; about two-fifths of them had all three cities for bonus points! After questions about the platypus and the origin of the University of Hawaii‘s Rainbow Warriors football team name, we hit upon the first half’s most difficult wagering query:
- Named for a British actress, which leather handbag from Hermès typically costs more than ten thousand dollars?
About 54% of the field knew the Birkin bag for wagering points. The last question in this round featured Tuesday’s hardest bonus opportunity: we asked about Nelson Mandela, and only 9.8% of our teams correctly gave his nickname, Madiba. With some trickiness amongst the bonus chances, there were no second-round perfect scores.
At halftime this week, teams had to identify ten European countries from a numbered map of the continent, then identify Best Picture Oscar-winning films in other words. There were 39 perfect scores on this page, which carried an average score of 17.6 points. The halftime break occurred at this point, with these teams ahead of the rest:
- Way Off Base (Nighthawk): 89
- Drunken Birds of Steele (Dudley’s): 89
- Little Brains, Big Egos (Distilled): 88
- H.R. Puff ‘n’ Stuff (Ramparts): 88
- EIGHT TEAMS TIED WITH 87 POINTS
A medical question early in this round proved to be its toughest:
- Also known as epidemic parotitis, what is the common name of the viral disease characterized by painful swelling of the salivary glands?
Mumps was that answer, given by 46% of Tuesday’s squads. Other topics in this round included Biblical King Solomon, Virginia state flag phrase sic semper tyrannis, and the former IFC sketch comedy series Portlandia. This round’s perfect teams were Quiz Khalifa (Solace Outpost – FC), Fan Club (Gentleman Jim’s), and Shenanigans (Nighthawk).
We went to Brazil for Tuesday’s 6-4-2, where 26 teams picked up the full six-point boost heading into the fourth round. In this round, we started with a stay at a Marriott hotel and broke up supercontinent Pangaea before we reached the night’s most difficult question:
- Identify the current names of the NHL franchises that respectively used these former names:
1) Hartford Whalers, 2) Atlanta Thrashers, 3) Quebec Nordiques
In order those current franchises are the Carolina Hurricanes, Winnipeg Jets, and Colorado Avalanche. Roughly 37% of the field got at least two of those right, but bonus points were earned by just 21%. The round concluded with a Monte Cristo sandwich and the 2001 English-language album debut of singer Shakira. Eleven teams earned perfect scores in the fourth round. We ended up with these teams atop the leaderboard heading into the final question:
- H.R. Puff ‘n’ Stuff (Ramparts): 164
- Fan Club (Gentleman Jim’s): 159
- No Name (Nighthawk): 157
- Little Brains, Big Egos (Distilled): 157
- Our Defending Champions (Cuginis): 156
- Comfortably Dumb (Smoketown Creekside): 156
FINAL QUESTION (29.5% success rate):
- James Darrell Edwards and Kevin Brown are the lead characters in which 1990s science fiction film?
Shortened, those names are Agents J and K from Men in Black! H.R. Puff ‘n’ Stuff (Ramparts) knew that en route to becoming Tuesday’s only Perfect 21 team. They also were our top team across the board on Tuesday, followed by these others:
- H.R. Puff ‘n’ Stuff (Ramparts): 166
- No Name (Nighthawk): 165
- Comfortably Dumb (Smoketown Creekside): 165
- Fan Club (Gentleman Jim’s): 165
- Mr. Manager (Nighthawk): 164
- Baby Nora (Antietam): 164
- Irish Beer Mafia (Antietam): 164
- Legalized Gambling (Ramparts): 164
- Drunken Birds of Steele (Dudley’s): 164
- Quiz Khalifa (Solace Outpost – FC): 164
- Little Brains, Big Egos (Distilled): 164
Cuginis Restaurant in Poolesville, MD: Our Defending Champions (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Billy Idol)
Upper Deck in Mount Airy, MD: Morgan Station (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Golf)
Olney Winery in Olney, MD: ON HIATUS (FIRST CATEGORY UPON RETURN: Sports Franchise Relocations)
Dudley’s Sport and Ale in Arlington, VA: Drunken Birds of Steele (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: World War II Ships)
Ramparts Tavern & Grill in Arlington, VA: H.R. Puff ‘n’ Stuff (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Mount Kilimanjaro)
Solace Outpost – Falls Church in Falls Church, VA: Quiz Khalifa (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Manatees)
Smoketown Creekside in Frederick, MD: Comfortably Dumb (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Virginia Meats)
Distilled in Frederick, MD: Little Brains, Big Egos (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: TV Cowboys)
Antietam Brewery in Hagerstown, MD: Baby Nora (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Boy Meets World)
Gentleman Jim’s in Gaithersburg, MD: Fan Club (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Triple 50/50 (1980s Pro Wrestlers: Dead or Alive?))
Nighthawk Pizza in Arlington, VA: No Name (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Philosophy)
Coach’s Corner Grill in Purcellville, VA: True Wit (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: True Crime)
Chalkboard Wings & BBQ in Alexandria, VA: Title One Forever (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Triple 50/50: I’m Too Sexy Song Lyrics)
The Zone in Ashburn, VA: We Thought This Was Speed Dating (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Bird Species)
Elo’s Italian Restaurant in Alexandria, VA: Traveling Triviateers (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Word Origins)
Solace Outpost – Navy Yard in Washington, DC: Tommy Wiseau’s Underwear Model (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: The Room)
Tommy Joe’s in Bethesda, MD: NO GAME
Rhodeside Grill in Arlington, VA: Bean Team (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Kobe Bryant)