Thursday Trivia was Truly Gone with the Wind
Thursday’s game of Pour House Trivia welcomed 102 teams across 16 venues.
Opening round topics from Thursday night included a three-part question of words that began with oo, those answers were “Oops (I Did it Again,) Oodles (of Noodles) and the Oort Cloud. Other topics included the technology company LG, the sitcom Murphy Brown and we finished off the round with the anniversary of the attack in figure skater Nancy Kerrigan. Fifteen Thursday teams began their game with a perfect first round score of 36 points.
Thursday’s audio question featured a clips from songs whose titles also included the name of a college bowl game. We were looking for “Holiday,” “Kiss from a Rose,” and “Sugar.” After that question our teams immediately ran into a road block with the toughest question of the first half on the subject of identical titles.
- Which two-word title is shared by a non-fiction book written by (supposed) psychic John Edward, and a 2009 Harrison Ford film concerning illegal immigrants?
Remember John Edward? Many of our teams didn’t as only about 26% of our teams earned their wager with Crossing Over.
Other topics in the round included carafe, hallucinations, and the countries of Afghanistan and Zimbabwe. As a result of question two only four teams posted a perfect score in Thursday’s second round.
The top of Thursday’s halftime page depicted stills from movies that were all released in 2021. The bottom half of the page had our teams identify the top ten most populous countries in the world in 2021. The overall average score reached only 13.8 points, with no teams earning a perfect score. Thursday’s halftime leaderboard included these teams:
- FU Covid (Mark’s): 90
- Bazinga (Champion): 90
- That One Table (Loudoun Kitchen): 89
- Flux Capacitors (Bear Brick Oven Pizza): 89
- Mack Attack (Belly Love): 88
Thursday’s second half included subject on the U.S. Supreme Court, where the answer was John Jay, the playground game jacks, island countries that included Cuba, New Zealand and Sri Lanka, and the recent hit “Meet Me at Our Spot,” by the group The Anxiety which features Willow, the daughter of Will Smith. Our teams then faced the most difficult question of the night where we saw 0 teams earn a bonus.
- Which 2013 science fiction film won seven Academy Awards, mostly in technical categories such as Cinematography and Visual Effects? Its seven awards are the second-most among those films that did NOT win Best Picture.
- 2-POINT BONUS: Which 1972 musical film won eight Oscars, the most among films that did not win Best Picture?
The film we were looking for to earn your wager was Gravity. None of our teams could come up with the film from the 70s that fit our clue. That answer was Cabaret.
As a result of that question and bonus no teams were able to notch a perfect score of Thursday’s third round.
Round Four eased up on our teams a little bit on subjects that included Calvin and Hobbes, the color Red in the rainbow, American tennis stars, Andre Agassi, Pete Sampras, and Andy Roddick, The Hindu religion, and we finished up with shows that were based in Chicago that included Chicago Fire, Married ….with Children, and The Good Wife.
Despite closing the fourth round with a relatively easier set of questions only three teams earned a perfect score in Round Four. These were your highest scoring Thursday teams heading into the final question:
- Flux Capacitors (Bear Brick Oven Pizza): 157
- Need for Weed (Olde Mother Brewing): 156
- F .U . Covid (Mark’s): 155
- Ask Me Know Questions (Smoketown): 152
- Risky Quizness (Fourscore): 152
FINAL QUESTION (34.3% success rate):
- When this character is first introduced in a 20th Century novel, she is only sixteen years old. However, by the time the novel is finished, she has been married three times, had three children, lost one of those children to a horse-riding accident, and runs a successful sawmill. Who was that character?
Just a little over 1/3 of our teams responded correctly with Scarlett O’Hara from Gone with the Wind. With some tough bonuses and a couple difficult wagering questions none of our teams were able to post the Perfect 21 on Thursday night by answering every wagering question correctly. Here is Thursday’s final overall leaderboard:
- Flux Capacitors (Bear Brick Oven Pizza): 169
- Bazinga (Champion): 162
- Asher’s Crew (Mark’s): 161
- Ask Me Know Questions (Smoketown): 157
- We Drink and We Know Things (Smoketown): 156
- Better Lucky than Smart (Loudoun Kitchen and Bar): 156
- Cat in the Chat (Loudoun Kitchen and Bar): 155
- Asher’s Crew (Mark’s): 155
- Me Year New Same (Mark’s): 155
- Wolf Hall (Solace Brewing): 153
- FOUR TEAMS TIED WITH 152
Smoketown Brewing Station in Brunswick, MD: Ask Me Know Questions (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: 2021 Formula One Season)
Pour Dog House in Millersville, MD: Personal Confidential (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Rodgers and Hammerstein)
Champion Billiards in Frederick, MD: Bazinga (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: That Thing You Do)
Loudoun Kitchen and Bar in Leesburg, VA: Better Lucky than Smart (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Wheel of Time – Book Series)
Olde Mother Brewing in Frederick, MD: Need for Weed (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Famous Noah’s)
Belly Love Brewing in Purcellville, VA: Hillbilly Geniuses (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Vampire Diaries)
Solace Brewing in Sterling, VA: Wolf Hall (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Norse Mythology)
Bad Habits Bar & Grill in Martinsburg, WV: Bad Habit Bitches (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Dental Procedures)
Brewery Fire in Taneytown, MD: Not Drunk at All (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Star Trek – Original Series)
Fourscore Beer Co. in Gettysburg, PA: Risky Quizzes (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: The Office – US Version)
Crooked Run in Sterling, VA: Transparent Eyeballs (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Succession)
Solace Outpost in Falls Church, VA: Pink Flamingos (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Classical Composers)
Homaide Brewing in Williamsport, MD: NO GAME THIS WEEK (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Schitt’s Creek)
Orioles Nest #331 in Frederick, MD: Just Good Enough (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: The Stand – Book)
Bear Brick Oven Pizza in Silver Spring, MD: Flux Capacitors (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: 1980s Alternative Music)
Preston’s Pub in Manassas Park, VA: Mo’s Birthday Week (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Heavy Metal Music)
Mark’s Pub in Falls Church, VA: Asher’s Crew (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Taylor Swift)