Thursday Trivia Was Born to Be Wild!
Pour House Trivia ran 21 games on Thursday evening for 261 teams, which included Aslin Beer Co and its 28 squads.
We visited the country-high 254 counties of Texas to start things off on Thursday, followed by a quite cheesy question:
- It sounds like this cheese was introduced on a 1960s TV sitcom, but it is actually named for a city in the French region of Alsace. Name this variety of cheese that is usually made with a red or orange rind.
Muenster cheese was identified by 51% of the field. The first half’s lowest bonus rate came next, where just 8.4% of teams knew that three listed events all happened in the year 1990. This round’s perfect trio was Second Guess All-Stars (Olde Mother), Alley Cats (Solace Brewing), and Shipwrecked (Steinhardt).
Thursday’s audio clue featured three songs performed by people named Stevie, namely Ray Vaughan, Wonder, and Nicks. At the end of the round, we hit the Hall of Fame hardwood:
- There are currently 37 players enshrined in the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame who played for which NBA team, the most in the league?
The Basketball Hall has 37 former Boston Celtics, an answer that carried a 35% success rate. We also had questions on Monty Python members and A Fish Called Wanda actors John Cleese and Michael Palin, as well as the American troop invasion of Italy in World War II. A game-high seven teams had a perfect score in this round.
Teams had to name the artists for each pictured famous artwork to start Thursday’s halftime page, then move on to match 1990s number-one songs to the correct musical act. While 32 teams had a perfect halftime round, the average score was 14.7 points. These were the top teams at the halftime break:
- Second Guess All-Stars (Olde Mother): 91
- Alley Cats (Solace Brewing): 89
- Gong Gong and the Butt Demons (Interchange): 89
- Samurai Trivia Players (Bear Brick Oven): 88
- Porn on the Job (Aslin): 88
- Scotty Doesn’t Know (Solace Brewing): 88
- Wilson Countersink Flanges (Crooked Run): 88
Three Clues about classic rock’s Eagles began the second half, followed by topics such as the term bayou, various spinoffs in the Law & Order TV franchise, and the Little Debbie Zebra Cakes. The round concluded with a Wonderful question:
- Which three of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World are considered destroyed due to earthquakes? They are also coincidentally the last three Wonders to have been constructed.
As the Hanging Gardens of Babylon have never had its existence proven, there is no way to prove how they were destroyed; instead, those Wonders are the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus, Colossus of Rhodes, and Lighthouse of Alexandria. About 36% of the field named at least two of the three for wagering credit, while a game-low 6.8% were able to earn two bonus points for getting all three answers. Only one team achieved third-round perfection: Get Off My Lawn (Bear Brick Oven).
The city of San Francisco was identified by 15 teams at the six-point clue on Thursday’s 6-4-2. The evening’s most difficult wagering question came in its final round:
- What colorful nickname was given to the volunteers who followed Giuseppe Garibaldi during his Mille expedition of the 1860s?
Either Redshirts or Redcoats was acceptable, and the success rate here was 14%. Other subjects in this round included the ring-tailed lemur, the Studebaker car company, and the Russian ushanka hat. Nerd Herd (Olde Mother) had this round’s only perfect score. This was the top of the leaderboard before the final question:
- Second Guess All-Stars (Olde Mother): 160
- Gong Gong and the Butt Demons (Interchange): 160
- I Don’t Know (Aslin): 158
- Dynamite (Lone Oak): 157
- Alley Cats (Solace Brewing): 157
FINAL QUESTION (38.7% success rate):
- Who was the first U.S. President to be born in a state that was not one of the original 13 colonies?
It took a while, but Abraham Lincoln holds that distinction with his birth state of Kentucky. Thursday’s Perfect 21 teams were Alley Cats (Solace Brewing) and I Don’t Know (Aslin). Final standings featured these scoring leaders:
- I Don’t Know (Aslin): 170
- Nerd Herd (Olde Mother): 166
- BAMs (Aslin): 166
- Five Heads, One Brain (Brewery Fire): 165
- Diamond Dogs (Kalypso’s): 162
- Dynamite (Lone Oak): 161
- Stink Floyd (Steinhardt): 160
- Alley Cats (Solace Brewing): 160
- Where’s Steve? (Mark’s): 159
- We Drink and We Know Things (Smoketown): 159
Smoketown Brewing Station in Brunswick, MD: We Drink and We Know Things (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Punic Wars)
Lone Oak Farm Brewing in Olney, MD: Dynamite (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Studebaker)
Fourscore Beer Co. in Gettysburg, PA: Educated Friends (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: TV Characters Named Francis)
Michaux Brew in Waynesboro, PA: I Love the Smell of Pencils (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Triple 50/50: Scott or Bob?)
Mookie’s BBQ in Great Falls, VA: NO GAME (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Natural Disasters)
Champion Billiards in Frederick, MD: Crabcakes
** CHAMPION BILLIARDS WILL BEGIN AN IMMEDIATE HIATUS DURING ITS MOVE TO A NEW LOCATION ** (FIRST CATEGORY UPON RETURN: Patience (opera))
Loudoun Kitchen and Bar in Leesburg, VA: Mad Facts: Query Road (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Washington Wizards)
Olde Mother Brewing in Frederick, MD: Nerd Herd (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Eminem (audio))
Belly Love Brewing in Purcellville, VA: Binge Thinkers (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Hunter x Hunter (TV series))
Solace Brewing in Sterling, VA: Alley Cats (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Bordeaux Wine)
Brewery Fire in Taneytown, MD: Five Heads, One Brain (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Famous Roller Coasters)
Crooked Run in Sterling, VA: Transparent Eyeballs (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: British Open)
Solace Outpost in Falls Church, VA: Soon to Be (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Penn State Football)
Interchange Tiki Bar in Williamsport, MD: Gong Gong and the Butt Demons (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: 1990s One-Hit Wonders)
Bear Brick Oven Pizza in Silver Spring, MD: Triviots (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Classical Music)
Preston’s Pub in Manassas Park, VA: Philly Cheese (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: 1970s Pittsburgh Steelers)
Aslin Beer Co in Alexandria, VA: I Don’t Know (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Nintendo 64 Launch Titles)
Kalypso’s Sports Tavern in Reston, VA: Diamond Dogs (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Minor Jewish Holidays)
Steinhardt Brewing in Frederick, MD: Stink Floyd (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Arnold Schwarzenegger Films)
Mile 20 at the Breeze in Herndon, VA: Vapors (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Kevin Spacey Films)
Mustang Sally Brewing in Falls Church, VA: Bar Maids (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Hot Rod History)
Mark’s Pub in Falls Church, VA: Where’s Steve? (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Famous Street Addresses)