Thursday Trivia Fanfare!
Nineteen locations hosted a total of 194 teams on Thursday evening for a game of Pour House Trivia.
Thursday started with a set of wagering questions that were easily handled by our teams, including topics like Lake Tahoe, the Boston Red Sox breaking the Curse of the Bambino in 2004, and a Halloween episode of Friends. The latter question carried the most difficult wagering question in the first half, as only 13% of teams knew that two-time Academy Award winner Sean Penn had a guest-starring role in the episode The One With the Halloween Party. However, fourteen teams racked up a perfect score in this round.
Halloween-esque song titles were the subject of Thursday’s audio question, followed by a query on the Movember trend where moustaches are grown over the course of November to raise awareness of prostate cancer and other ailments. The toughest wagering question of the first half came halfway through this round:
- Today is the 164th birthday for which New Yorker who became U.S. President after the assassination of William McKinley?
Theodore Roosevelt was correctly named by 53% of the field. The last question in this round had its hardest bonus chance; we asked about the Saw horror film series, and 22% of teams knew that Tobin Bell portrayed John Kramer in the franchise. This round had ten perfect team scores.
We asked teams to identify celebrities dressed up for Halloween antics, then match scary stories to the corresponding author for our halftime page. A few of the celebs were particularly costumed well, so the average score was 14.1 points. However, 13 teams aced the page and earned all 20 points. A two-way almost perfect tie comprised the top of the halftime leaderboard:
- Washington Foreskins (Loudoun Kitchen): 91
- Painful Burning Sensation (Smoketown): 91
- I Don’t Know (Aslin): 89
- Yolo Swaggins (Crooked Run): 89
- Quarter Century (Crooked Run): 88
We threw teams into the deep end right away in the second half with Three Clues, starting with these two:
- CLUE 1: This franchise entered the NBA under the original name of the Syracuse Nationals.
- CLUE 2: In its most recent NBA Finals appearance, this team lost to the Lakers in 2001.
Only 9.7% of teams had the answer at this point, the lowest bonus success rate of the night. It took this final clue to get other teams into it:
- CLUE 3: Doc Rivers is the current coach of this Atlantic Division team whose roster includes Joel Embiid and James Harden.
Just under two-fifths of the field earned points in some way over these clues with the correct NBA team, the Philadelphia 76ers. Later on, we asked a question that ended up becoming the hardest of the game:
- Bearing an alliterative name, which recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom created numerous hot wax paintings depicting the American flag?
Jasper Johns was that artist, named by 26% of our squads. The only perfect teams in this round were Pringles (Bear Brick Oven) and Alien Bounty Hunters (Aslin).
Almost 30% of Thursday’s teams earned all six points by naming purple on the first clue. We started the final round with questions about Jimmy Buffett‘s Land Shark Lager and the rock Charlie Brown keeps getting on his trick-or-treat runs. The toughest wagering question of the round came on a three-part geography set where each answer was bookended by the letters K and I (Kalahari, Karachi, and Kiribati). This round had nine teams earn all 36 points. Once again, the same two teams were tied for first heading into the final question:
- Washington Foreskins (Loudoun Kitchen): 163
- Painful Burning Sensation (Smoketown): 163
- Easy Eights (Aslin): 162
- I Don’t Know (Aslin): 161
- Quarter Century (Crooked Run): 160
- Horseshoes and Hand Grenades (Smoketown): 160
FINAL QUESTION (22.2% success rate):
- Among the five currently-independent nations to have representation at every Summer Olympics since 1896, which is the only country located outside of Europe?
The only nation to fit the clue that isn’t is Europe is Australia. There were five teams that each answered every wagering question correctly to record a Perfect 21 on Thursday. There was a venue monopoly at the top of the final standings:
- I Don’t Know (Aslin): 173
- Bimbos (Aslin): 171
- Alien Bounty Hunters (Aslin): 171
- Huntington Hookers (Aslin): 169
- Teachers Have Class (Solace Brewing): 169
- Bad Rhino (Kalypso’s): 165
- BAMs (Aslin): 165
- No MSG (Solace Brewing): 164
- Horseshoes and Hand Grenades (Smoketown): 160
- Washington Foreskins (Loudoun Kitchen): 159
Smoketown Brewing Station in Brunswick, MD: Horseshoes and Hand Grenades (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: 2022 NFL Season (week 8))
Champion Billiards in Frederick, MD: Crabcakes (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: 1980s Rock Bands)
Loudoun Kitchen and Bar in Leesburg, VA: Blinded by the Wine (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: From the Earth to the Moon)
Olde Mother Brewing in Frederick, MD: Doodle Party (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Downtown Frederick)
Belly Love Brewing in Purcellville, VA: Pho Q (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: The Lord of the Rings (films))
Solace Brewing in Sterling, VA: Teachers Have Class (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Mel Brooks Films)
Brewery Fire in Taneytown, MD: NO GAME (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Real Ships Named Enterprise)
Fourscore Beer Co. in Gettysburg, PA: Risky Quizness (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: The Hobbit (book))
Crooked Run in Sterling, VA: Quarter Century (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Pokemon)
Solace Outpost in Falls Church, VA: Purr and the Kitty Kats (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: The Room)
Interchange Tiki Bar in Williamsport, MD: M.J. (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Nuclear Submarines)
Bear Brick Oven Pizza in Silver Spring, MD: Flux Capacitors (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: House of the Dragon)
Preston’s Pub in Manassas Park, VA: Kentucky Fried Panda (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Gardening)
Aslin Beer Co in Alexandria, VA: I Don’t Know (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: The Magicians (TV series))
Kalypso’s Sports Tavern in Reston, VA: Bad Rhino (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Beethoven)
Two Story Chimney Ciderworks in Gaithersburg, MD: E=MC Hammer (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Johnny Depp Films)
Steinhardt Brewing in Frederick, MD: Deck Chairs on the Titanic (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Triple 50/50: Las Vegas or Atlantic City?)
Mile 20 at the Breeze in Herndon, VA: Papayas (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Formula 1 Champions)
Comus Inn in Dickerson, MD: The Price is Right (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Olympic Gymnasts)
Mark’s Pub in Falls Church, VA: Oyster Cracker (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Hitchcock Films)