Take a Bite Out of Monday Trivia!
Monday’s game of Pour House Trivia welcomed 71 teams across eight venues.
Opening round topics from Monday night included the work of actress Jessica Biel, the Episcopalian denomination of Christianity, the fire-breathing Chimera of Greek mythology, and the Texan cities of Laredo and Lubbock. With few surprises in the first stanza, 15 teams began their night with a perfect score of 36 points.
We broke out more Christmas music in Monday’s audio question, as we asked our teams to identify the musical acts belting out three holiday tunes. We listened to Paul McCartney (Wonderful Christmastime), Harry Connick Jr. ((It Must’ve Been Ol’) Santa Claus) and Pentatonix (Hark! The Herald Angels Sing). Other second round topics included the Truman Doctrine, the early career of quarterback John Elway, the holiday of Kwanza, and the film term Spaghetti Western. Six teams posted a perfect score in the second round.
The top half of Monday’s halftime page asked our teams to identify holiday film characters, while the bottom half featured answers that could be spelled using the letters in the phrase MERRY CHRISTMAS. Falling on the more difficult side, the average score reached just 13.9 points, as Cobra Kai (DRP) posted the only perfect score. These were your highest scoring Monday teams at the halftime break:
- Cobra Kai (DRP): 92
- Hipster Fashion Consultants (DRP): 91
- Auburn Pillagers (DRP): 90
- Pursue This (Bushwaller’s): 89
- Cunnylumpkins (Bushwaller’s): 89
Our Monday teams began their second half with a three-part question in which each answer contained consecutive ‘U’s: vacuum, muumuu, and Equus. We also discussed Absolut vodka, the supporting characters from The Sopranos, the history of IQ measurement, and the film collaborations of Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan. Once again, six teams notched a perfect score of 36 points.
After discussing William Shakespeare in the 6-4-2 question, Monday’s final stanza began with a related question that included the most difficult bonus question of the night:
- Borrowing a line from Shakespeare’s As You Like It, which Canadian rock group released All the World’s a Stage in 1976, marking its first live album?
- 2-POINT BONUS: Which 1981 release is this band’s highest-selling album?
About two thirds of the field earned wagering points with the correct answer of Rush, but only eight teams tacked on two bonus points by also knowing that Moving Pictures is the band’s highest-selling album. From there, we moved on to topics such former Austrian leader Kurt Waldheim, the national championships won by the University of Florida men’s basketball team, and the secession of South Carolina in 1861. As a result of the first bonus question, Hipster Fashion Consultants (DRP) and H. R. Puff ‘n’ Stuff (DRP) posted the only perfect scores of the fourth round. These were your highest scoring Monday teams heading into the final question:
- Cobra Kai (DRP): 168
- Hipster Fashion Consultants (DRP): 167
- H. R. Puff ‘n’ Stuff (DRP): 164
- Auburn Pillagers (DRP): 162
- Prestige Worldwide (William Jeffrey’s): 160
FINAL QUESTION (54.1% success rate):
- On the American Film Institute’s list of its Greatest Movie Villains, the only non-human animal is from which film?
Just over half of the field responded correctly with Jaws. Congratulations to Cobra Kai (DRP), Hipster Fashion Consultants (DRP), and H. R. Puff ‘n’ Stuff (DRP), who each posted a Perfect 21 on Monday night by answering every wagering question correctly. Monday’s final leaderboard featured these teams:
- Cobra Kai (DRP): 180
- Hipster Fashion Consultants (DRP): 177
- H. R. Puff ‘n’ Stuff (DRP): 176
- Auburn Pillagers (DRP): 174
- The Gang Plays Bar Trivia (Bushwaller’s): 169
- Cunnylumpkins (Bushwaller’s): 168
- Satchel of Richards (Rockwell): 167
- Probably Last Place (DRP): 163
- Big Tips Only (Rockwell): 162
- Prestige Worldwide (William Jeffrey’s): 161
Cushwa Brewing in Williamsport, MD: Gong Gong and the Butt Demons (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Trailer Park Boys)
DRP in Alexandria, VA: Cobra Kai (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: The Matrix)
Bushwaller’s in Frederick, MD: The Gang Plays Bar Trivia (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Cuban History)
Rockwell Brewery in Frederick, MD: Satchel of Richards (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Current NFL Backup Quarterbacks)
Mark’s Pub in Falls Church, VA: (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Desserts)
William Jeffrey’s Tavern in Arlington, VA: Prestige Worldwide (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Burt Bacharach Songs)
Ragtime in Arlington, VA: Horns Down (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Celebrity DUIs)
Il Forno Pizzeria in Frederick, MD: That’s a Bingo (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Dog Breeds)