Scanning the Code for Thursday Night Trivia
Thursday’s game of Pour House Trivia welcomed 130 teams across 16 venues.
Topics from Thursday’s opening round included The Nutcracker, the flavored varieties of Diet Coke, taking our chances at the Price is Right Game, Plinko and the amazing career of female soccer player Carli Lloyd. The last question of the round also had the most difficult bonus of the first half as we also asked our teams to identify the correct jersey number for Carli Lloyd on the U.S. Women’s National Soccer Team. Only about 20% of our teams knew that her jersey number was 10.
Because of that final bonus question only two Thursday teams began their game with a perfect first round score of 36 points: Pennsylvania Avenue (Solace Outpost), and Three Brains / One Answer (Belly Love).
Thursday’s audio question asked our teams to identify the 1990s country anthem, “Boot Scootin’ Boogie.” We followed that with the most difficult question of the first half.
- The language of Llanito, a unique mix of English and Spanish spoken by less than 100,000 people. This language was once nicknamed “Rock English”, as it is spoken primarily in which British territory?
Exactly half of our teams knew we were looking for Gibraltar.
Other second round topics included the Police Academy film series, the animal known as a moose, and we finished the round with a little U.S. history about John Adams and the Federalist Party.
The top half of Thursday’s halftime page asked our teams to identify some cartoon characters, while the bottom half included a matching round of ancient world leaders. Twenty six teams recorded a perfect score, while the overall average reached 16.7 points. Here is Thursday’s halftime leaderboard:
- Bazinga (Champs): 90
- Xanatos Gambit (Mark’s): 89
- FU COVID (Mark’s): 89
- Deck Chairs on the Titanic (Champion): 88
Five other teams were tied with 87 points after the first half.
Topics from Thursday’s third round included the song “Ex’s and Oh’s” by Elle King, who is the daughter of comedian Rob Schneider, the Cadillac model El Dorado, a three-part question about geographical names beginning with the letter T, including Toledo, Thailand, and the Tiber River, the scientific term known as The Twilight Zone, and name that actress which was the most difficult wagering and bonus question of the second half:
- Born with the last name of Hicks, this African American actress was best known for her work on television when she earned an Academy Award for her role in the 2009 drama film “Precious”.
- 2-POINT BONUS: She spent five seasons playing one of the title characters on which UPN sitcom?
About 40% of our teams knew the actress we were looking for here is Mo’Nique while only about 1/4 of those teams knew she was on the show known as The Parkers. As a result of that final question only one team, Xanatos Gambit (Mark’s), earned a perfect third round score.
In Thursday’s final round, we took a trip to the constellation Southern Cross, bought ourselves a Harper’s Bazaar magazine, watched some of the classic TV sitcom, Welcome Back Kotter, the shared name of Daedalus, and celebrated the 52nd birthday of Matthew McConaughey.
This round included six teams notching a perfect 36 points. These were your highest scoring Thursday teams heading into the final question:
- Xanatos Gambit (Mark’s): 165
- Power Vacuum (Champion): 163
- Bazinga (Champion): 160
- Deck Chairs on the Titanic (Champion): 158
- We Drink and We Know Things (Smoketown Brewing Station): 158
FINAL QUESTION (2.3% success rate):
- While playing the board game Go a Japanese engineer for the Denso company came up with the idea for this technological invention, which has since become more prevalent during the current pandemic. For your wager, what is the name of this technological invention?
In one of our lowest success rates in recent memory, only three teams picked up points on this final question with the correct response of the QR Code.
The Perfect 21 eluded the entire field on Thursday night, as no team correctly answered all 21 wagering questions. Here is Thursday’s final overall leaderboard:
- Xanatos Gambit (Mark’s): 162
- Psychiatric Help Five Cents (Solace Outpost): 156
- We Drink and We Know Things (Smoketown Brewing Station): 155
- BBQ-ANON (Orioles Nest #331): 155
- Yolo Swaggins (Crooked Run): 154
- Power Vacuum (Champion): 153
- Washington Foreskins (Loudoun Kitchen): 153
- Scotty Doesn’t Know (Solace Brewing): 152
- Deck Chairs on the Titanic (Champion):151
- Bazinga (Champion):149
Smoketown Brewing Station in Brunswick, MD: We Drink and We Know Things (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Triple 50/50: Kenny Loggins or Kenny Rogers)
Pour Dog House in Millersville, MD: Queer for a Beer (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Mountain Biking)
Champion Billiards in Frederick, MD: Power Vacuum (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Afterglow Vista)
Loudoun Kitchen and Bar in Leesburg, VA: Washington Foreskins (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Star Wars – Original Trilogy)
Olde Mother Brewing in Frederick, MD: Triviasaurus Rex (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: The Black Adder – TV Series)
Belly Love Brewing in Purcellville, VA: Mack Attack (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: U.S. Civil War)
Solace Brewing in Sterling, VA: Scotty Doesn’t Know (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: College Football)
Bad Habits Bar & Grill in Martinsburg, WV: Sarah’s Boys (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: 1980s Bon Jovi Songs – NON-AUDIO)
Brewery Fire in Taneytown, MD: Five Heads One Brain (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Air Force Bases)
Fourscore Beer Co. in Gettysburg, PA: These Questions are Making Me Thirsty (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Outlander – TV Series)
Crooked Run in Sterling, VA: Yolo Swaggins (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: James Dean)
Solace Outpost in Falls Church, VA: Psychiatric Help Five Cents (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Phineas and Ferb)
Homaide Brewing in Williamsport, MD: Slapsgiving (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: 1990s Country Music – AUDIO CLUE)
Orioles Nest #331 in Frederick, MD: BBQ-ANON (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: African Capitals)
Bear Brick Oven Pizza in Silver Spring, MD: Pringles (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: 21st Century Medical Advancements)
Mark’s Pub in Falls Church, VA: Xanatos Gambit (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: 17th Century Paintings)