Roll with the Changes at Monday Trivia!
Monday’s game of Pour House Trivia welcomed 68 teams across seven venues.
Opening round topics from Monday night included the universities comprising the Research Triangle of North Carolina, the honors doled out to Lil Nas X at the recent MTV Video Music Awards, and the series of Charmin commercials depicting bears who are inexplicably obsessed with bathroom cleanliness. Our Monday teams hit very few speed bumps in the opening stanza, as ten teams posted 36 points en route to a perfect first round.
Monday’s audio question featured clips from films featuring Mike Myers. By far, the easiest of the three films to recognize was Wayne’s World, but some of our teams struggled to identify both The Cat in the Hat and Bohemian Rhapsody. Only eight teams snagged the first two-point bonus of the second round with all three correct answers. We continued with a discussion of the foot fault in tennis, the animals of Indonesia, the variant of the Bloody Mary known as the Bloody Maria, and the scientific concept of whiplash. Thanks largely to the audio question, Monday’s second round did not yield any perfect scores.
Monday’s halftime page featured ‘pictorial mashups’ that combined NFL logos with Disney characters. About one-third of the field recorded a perfect score of 20 points, while the overall average reached a healthy 18.3 points. These were your highest scoring Monday teams after one half of play:
- Hipster Fashion Consultants (DRP): 90
- Worst Case Ontario (DRP): 90
- Team Eight (Cushwa): 89
- Cheddar Biscuits (Mark’s): 89
- Brewed Awakening (DRP): 88
Monday’s second half began with two difficult wagering questions, starting with this query regarding 1980s films:
- Which 1980s film stars John Cusack as a high school student named Lane Meyer who gets dumped by his girlfriend for the captain of the ski team right before Christmas break?
On an unrelated note, John Cusack portrayed a professional baseball player in Eight Men Out one year before portraying a high school student in Say Anything... Unfortunately for dozens of teams, the latter film was NOT the correct answer. Instead, about one-third of the field responded correctly with Better Off Dead. Things did not get any easier for Monday’s field, thanks to this question about U.S. Presidents:
- Exactly 140 years ago today, who was sworn in as the 21st U.S. President one day after the death of James Garfield?
One of the best strategies we tell our teams to employ is to pick one player whose sole purpose is to memorize the order of the U.S. Presidents. Once again, only one-third of the field earned points with Chester Arthur. Next up, we asked a Three Clues question concerning the word serendipity, but implicitly included a clue about the John Cusack film of that title. The third round concluded with the most difficult wagering question of the night, as only 22% of our teams recognized song titles from current country singer Gabby Barrett. None of our Monday teams posted a perfect third round score.
Final round topics from Monday night included Nobel Prize-winning author Pearl Buck, thimbles, television show titles with apostrophes, and African countries whose names start with the letter ‘L’. For the third round in a row, a perfect score eluded the entire field. Here is Monday’s leaderboard heading into the final question:
- Hipster Fashion Consultants (DRP): 159
- Auburn Pillagers (DRP): 157
- George Washington’s Camel (DRP): 155
- Burning Dog Poo and the Human Response (Rockwell): 155
- Worst Case Ontario (DRP): 154
FINAL QUESTION (36.4% success rate):
- Introduced in 1915, this ancestor of the modern-day pickup truck was first produced by the same man that created Oldsmobile. Identify this car whose name is shared by an American music group.
Just over one-third of the field earned points on this final question with REO Speedwagon. Thanks to the third round, none of our Monday teams posted a Perfect 21 by answering all 21 wagering questions correctly. Here is Monday’s final leaderboard:
- Hipster Fashion Consultants (DRP): 170
- Auburn Pillagers (DRP): 169
- Worst Case Ontario (DRP): 166
- Pursue This (Rockwell): 158
- H. R. Puff ‘N’ Stuff (DRP): 157
- Gabagoons (Highline): 156
- Talk Nerdy to Me (DRP): 155
- Cheddar Biscuits (Mark’s): 155
- F. U. Covid (Mark’s): 154
- Comfortably Dumb (Rockwell): 154
DRP in Alexandria, VA: Hipster Fashion Consultants (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Ted Lasso)
Cushwa Brewing in Williamsport, MD: Gong Gong and the Butt Demons (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Dog Breeds)
Bushwaller’s in Frederick, MD: OK (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Obscure Sports)
Rockwell Brewery in Frederick, MD: Pursue This (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Maya the Bee)
Mark’s Pub in Falls Church, VA: Cheddar Biscuits (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Twin Peaks Characters)
Highline RxR in Arlington, VA: Gabagoons (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: African Capitals)
Il Forno Pizzeria in Frederick, MD: That’s a Bingo (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Frederick, Maryland)