Puppy Love at Tuesday Trivia!
Tuesday’s game of Pour House Trivia welcomed 142 teams across 17 locations.
Opening round topics from Tuesday night included the ex-wives of Tom Cruise, Great Lakes geography, and Spider-Man. In an extremely rare occurrence, the most difficult bonus question of the night was asked during the first round:
- Using a stylized version of the U. S. flag as its logo, which financial company owns the naming rights to the home of the Carolina Panthers?
- 2-POINT BONUS: Prior to 2004, this stadium was named for which foreign technology company?
Most of our teams earned wagering points with the correct answer of Bank of America, but only FIVE teams tacked on an additional two points with the correct bonus answer of Ericcson. Not surprisingly, a perfect score eluded the entire Tuesday field this week.
Tuesday’s audio question asked our teams to identify music groups named for automobiles. We listened to REO Speedwagon (Roll With the Changes), The Fabulous Thunderbirds (Tuff Enuff), and Chevelle (Send the Pain Below). We continued with a look at the classic I’m Just a Bill animated short from Schoolhouse Rock, obituaries, and the horror film The Shining. This query in the subject of chemical elements proved to be the most difficult bonus question of the second stanza:
- Bearing the respective atomic numbers of 2 and 34, identify either one of the two chemical elements whose names end with the letters ‘I-U-M’, but are NOT metals.
Naturally, virtually every team earned wagering points with Helium, but only 12 teams snagged the second correct answer of Selenium. Two of those teams used these bonus points to complete a perfect second round: Comfortably Dumb (Smoketown Creekside) and Dynamite (Smoketown Creekside).
Sporting events and phrases contain MISS or MRS. were the featured topics on Tuesday’s halftime page, which yielded 29 perfect scores and an overall average of 17.4 points. At Tuesday’s halftime break, these were your highest scoring teams:
- Comfortably Dumb (Smoketown Creekside): 90
- Dynamite (Smoketown Creekside): 88
- Full Frontal Nerdity (Gentleman Jim’s): 87
- Pho Q (Coach’s): 87
- Stamp Collectors (Ramparts): 87
Tuesday’s second half opened with a three-part question regarding celebrities born on September 27: Gwyneth Paltrow turned 50, NBA coach Steve Kerr turned 57, and singer Avril Lavigne turned 37. From there, we discussed the languages of Belgium, Goose Island beer, the 1980s new wave band Wang Chung, and the the war novel All Quiet on the Western Front. That final topic included the most difficult bonus question of the round, as only 11% of our teams knew that the novel was written by Erich Maria Remarque. Three teams ran the table in Tuesday’s third round by posting 36 points: Dynamite (Smoketown Creekside), Innovations (Dudley’s), and Full Frontal Nerdity (Gentleman Jim’s).
After visiting Oregon in the 6-4-2 question, we moved on to final round topics such as the African nation of Tanzania, paring knife, and historic figures whose last names begin with ‘C’. The most difficult bonus question of the third round saw just ten teams identify the film Joy as the most recent film for which Jennifer Lawrence earned an Oscar nomination. That question was immediately followed by the most difficult wagering question of the night::
- In a standard game of ten-pin bowling, which final score would a bowler achieve by knocking down EXACTLY five pins with EVERY roll?
Less than half of our teams responded correctly with 150:
None of our Tuesday teams managed to post a perfect fourth round score. Heading into the final question, these teams topped the overall Tuesday leaderboard:
- Dynamite (Smoketown Creekside): 165
- Hungry Hungry Georgian Hippos (Dudley’s): 158
- Pickleback (Dudley’s): 157
- Killer Snails (Olney): 156
- Supernovas (Dudley’s): 156
FINAL QUESTION (16.7% success rate):
- Since its plot covered a span of 14 years, which 21st century film featured 22 different performers portraying one of the two title characters?
About one in six teams responded correctly with the tearjerker Marley and Me. With a rather difficult final question, none of our Tuesday teams secured a Perfect 21 by answering every wagering question correctly. Her is your final overall leaderboard from Tuesday night:
- Hungry Hungry Georgian Hippos (Dudley’s): 168
- Dynamite (Smoketown Creekside): 161
- Stamp Collectors (Ramparts): 161
- Prestige Worldwide (Ramparts): 161
- Comfortably Dumb (Smoketown Creekside): 160
- Kid Free Zone (Solace Outpost – FC): 155
- No Name (Nighthawk): 153
- Killer Snails (Olney): 153
- NoVa Compensators (Nighthawk): 152
- How I Met Ronnie (Cuginis): 152
- Pink Flamingos (Elo’s): 152
Cuginis Restaurant in Poolesville, MD: How I Met Ronnie (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Pee-wee’s Big Adventure)
Upper Deck in Mount Airy, MD: Moragn Station (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: 1980s TV Comedies)
Olney Winery in Olney, MD: Killer Snails
OLNEY WINERY WILL BEGIN AN IMMEDIATE HIATUS UNTIL NOVEMBER
(FIRST CATEGORY UPON RETURN: Sports Franchise Relocations)
Dudley’s Sport and Ale in Arlington, VA: Hungry Hungry Georgian Hippos (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Pacific Island Nations)
Ramparts Tavern & Grill in Arlington, VA: Stamp Collectors (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: House of the Dragon)
Solace Outpost – Falls Church in Falls Church, VA: Kid Free Zone (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Basketball Hall of Famers)
Smoketown Creekside in Frederick, MD: Dynamite (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Triple 50/50: St. Louis Football Cardinals or St. Louis Baseball Cardinals? (1960 – 1987))
Distilled in Frederick, MD: Wiseacres (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Hall and Oates (AUDIO))
Antietam Brewery in Hagerstown, MD: Quizzy McTriviaface (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: O. J. Simpson)
Gentleman Jim’s in Gaithersburg, MD: Drinkin’ and Guessin’ (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: The Wiz)
Nighthawk Pizza in Arlington, VA: No Name (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Popes)
Coach’s Corner Grill in Purcellville, VA: Pho Q (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: 1970s Horror Films)
Chalkboard Wings & BBQ in Alexandria, VA: I Don’t Know (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Marvel Cinematic Universe)
The Zone in Ashburn, VA: Bee Team (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Hamilton)
Elo’s Italian Restaurant in Alexandria, VA: Pink Flamingos (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: TBD)
Solace Outpost – Navy Yard in Washington, DC: NASA: 1, Asteroid: 0 (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Women’s Marathon Running)
Tommy Joe’s in Bethesda, MD: Capital Fun (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Famous Virgins)