Monday Trivia Visits the Great Outdoors!
Hannah’s game at our newest venue, Hidden Key Brewing in Greencastle, PA, led to another Monday attendance record for Pour House Trivia! A total of 164 teams played across our 15 locations, with the busiest game taking place among 21 teams at Ragtime.
We started off with the triple threat of show business, in which a performer is good at acting, singing, and dancing. From there, we discussed the first rules about the number zero in mathematics and the Capital One headquarters in Tysons, Virginia. The most successful round on Monday saw 27 teams end this part of the game with a perfect score.
Monday’s audio clue played three songs that utilize children as backup singers: Pink Floyd‘s Another Brick in the Wall, Pat Benatar‘s We Belong, and Aeroplane by Red Hot Chili Peppers. The most difficult question in the first half came halfway through this round, which was a literary three-parter. Teams had to name the second published book for each of these novel series:
- 1) The Hunger Games, 2) Twilight, 3) A Song of Ice and Fire
Just 14% of teams earned bonus points for getting all three — Catching Fire, New Moon, and A Clash of Kings, respectively — but 31% had at least two of those answers for their wager. Other topics in this round included the Great Rift Valley of Africa and various types of catfish found in Maryland. The only team to earn a perfect score in this round was Santos L Halper (Ragtime).
A tricky halftime page asked teams to identify films from screencaps of famous quotes (such as Jack Nicholson’s You can’t handle the truth! from A Few Good Men), then match U.S. states to their tallest building. No team earned all 20 points here; in fact, the average score was down to 13.7 points. However, these teams were still able to top the leaderboard after halftime:
- Santos L Halper (Ragtime): 89
- Twerk from Home (Il Forno): 88
- Ten Thousand Dugongs (Ragtime): 87
- Revivalist Hurricanes (Ragtime): 87
- FIVE TEAMS TIED WITH 85 POINTS
After questions about filmmakers who starred in their own movie, the classic rock band Kansas, and Pulitzer Prize-winning author Edith Wharton, we arrived at this round’s toughest wagering query:
- A Swedish astronomer with the first name of Anders is credited with developing a centigrade temperature scale in 1742. What was Anders’s last name?
That man was named Anders Celsius; 34% of the field earned points with that answer. A hard bonus chance came right after that:
- What are the two most populous independent nations located entirely within Europe which are NOT a member of the European Union?
Both the United Kingdom and Ukraine were identified by 22% of teams. Eight of those squads used those answers to cap off a perfect third round.
Fourteen squads earned all six points by naming the number 101 from the first 6-4-2 clue. The fourth round began with this question about a current talk show:
- Sheryl Underwood and Jerry O’Connell are current co-hosts on which daytime talk show that debuted in 2010?
While 36% of teams knew that show is The Talk, only 12% added two bonus points for naming Sharon Osbourne as its longest-tenured original co-host. Two questions later, we arrived at the night’s toughest way to earn points:
- Inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2017, which kicker born in Copenhagen holds the NFL record for career games played?
Morten Andersen was named by 29% of the field; just over 10% tacked on bonus points for knowing Andersen finished his NFL career with the Atlanta Falcons. Other questions in this round dealt with Captain Morgan rum, the paper clip, and Three Clues about the city of Aurora, Illinois. A trio of teams recorded a perfect score here: Jeff Cab for Cutie (Clyde’s), Hipster Fashion Consultants (DRP), and Revivalist Hurricanes (Ragtime). Before the final question, the leaderboard was led by these teams:
- Hipster Fashion Consultants (DRP): 171
- Santos L Halper (Ragtime): 159
- Revivalist Hurricanes (Ragtime): 159
- Twerk from Home (Il Forno): 157
- FOUR TEAMS TIED WITH 154 POINTS
FINAL QUESTION (7.32% success rate):
- With just under 12 million residents, what is the most populous U.S. state that contains exactly one U.S. National Park?
The Cuyahoga Valley National Park is the only one in the state of Ohio! Unfortunately, a Perfect 21 eluded the field on Monday. These teams were able to stake a high score claim on the final overall leaderboard:
- Revivalist Hurricanes (Ragtime): 171
- Van Buren Boys (Ragtime): 163
- Hipster Fashion Consultants (DRP): 160
- H.R. Puf’n’Stuf (DRP): 158
- Witiots (Bushwaller’s): 157
- Gong Gong and the Butt Demons (Cushwa): 157
- Twerk from Home (Il Forno): 156
- Get Off My Lawn (Quincy’s): 154
- Jeff Cab for Cutie (Clyde’s): 154
- Fresh Off the U-Haul (Mark’s): 148
Ellie’s Pub in Winchester, VA: Brude Beasts (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: World War II in Pop Culture)
Clyde’s in Alexandria, VA: Jeff Cab for Cutie (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: 1916 U.S. Presidential Election)
Cushwa Brewing in Williamsport, MD: Gong Gong and the Butt Demons (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Survivor)
DRP in Alexandria, VA: Hipster Fashion Consultants (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Extraordinary Attorney Woo)
Bushwaller’s in Frederick, MD: Witiots (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Irish Writers)
Rockwell Brewery in Frederick, MD: A New Hope (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: House of Windsor)
Mark’s Pub in Falls Church, VA: Fresh Off the U-Haul (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Cinco de Mayo)
William Jeffrey’s Tavern in Arlington, VA: Dog Park Mafia (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Type 1 (Juvenile) Diabetes)
Ragtime in Arlington, VA: Revivalist Hurricanes (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Jazz Musicians)
Aslin Beer Co in Herndon, VA: IPA Lot (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Prince Songs)
Quincy’s Bar and Grille in Gaithersburg, MD: Get Off My Lawn (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: ER (TV series))
Whitlow’s in Washington, DC: Misadventures of Don and Tuck (NEXT GAME ON JUNE 5 – FIRST CATEGORY: Current Members of U.S. Congress)
Rai’s Pour House in Sterling, VA: Bee Team (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: 1980s Canadian Curling Teams)
Hidden Key Brewing in Greencastle, PA: Slippery Rock, Slippery Roll (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Grateful Dead)
Il Forno Pizzeria in Frederick, MD: Twerk from Home (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Poker Face (TV series))