Hitting the Road with Thursday Trivia!
This past Thursday, 212 teams played Pour House Trivia at 22 locations, including a theme game at Brewery Fire.
The first round’s helping of trivia asked questions on Mormon Joseph Smith and various pro football officials. The final question of the round went like this:
- In the titles of various TV shows, which single word has preceded Engineering, Makeover, Weight Loss, and Dodgeball?
- Bonus: On which network did that Dodgeball series air?
While most teams recognized those Extreme shows, only two teams knew that Extreme Dodgeball was a Game Show Network series. One of those teams, BAMs (Aslin), recorded the only perfect score of the round.
A trio of songs with the word Pocket in the title comprised Thursday’s audio question. Following queries on the phrase cold turkey, West Virginia‘s location within the Appalachian region, and the fat of an avocado, we ended the round with this question:
- Adapted from a John Steinbeck novel, which film was the only credited screen role for James Dean that was released prior to his death?
- Bonus: Who directed this film?
Just under 35% of the field knew the film East of Eden, while 7% named its director, Elia Kazan. A game-high 11 teams had perfect scores in the second round.
A ten-pack of celebrities who were either born or died in 1994 formed the top part of the halftime page, while the bottom part asked teams to name occupational film titles. Just three teams earned all 20 points, while the average team recorded 13.9 points. After halftime, these were the highest scores:
- Einsteins (Lone Oak): 89
- We the Peephole (Loudoun Kitchen): 88
- BBQ-Anon (Steinhardt): 87
- EIGHT TEAMS TIED WITH 86 POINTS
The second half began with a question about Angela Bassett film How Stella Got Her Groove Back; on this question, just 10.3% of teams knew that film was adapted from a book by Terry McMillan. Two questions later, we had a three-parter about people with K initials in their name:
- 1) Which Canadian singer appeared on the first cover of Entertainment Weekly magazine?
- 2) South Korean K. J. Choi has won more than 30 million dollars in prize money in which sport?
- 3) Fifteen feature films have been adapted from the work of which author bearing the middle name of Kindred?
In order, those answers are K.D. Lang, golf, and Philip K. Dick. A little over a third of the field earned their wager with two correct answers, but 7% received two bonus points with all three answers. This round’s lone perfect team was Triviots (Bear Brick Oven).
Thursday’s 6-4-2 about William Howard Taft saw 29 teams name the former U.S. President for all six points. However, over two-thirds of the field took a zero on their guess. The evening’s least-successful wagering question was found in this round:
- Which actress released the country album Road Between during her run on the television drama Pretty Little Liars?
Lucy Hale was identified by 22% of our teams. Other topics in this round included future ACC schools California, Stanford, and SMU as well as Three Clues about Paris and nursery rhyme character Little Jack Horner. No teams had a perfect score in this round. After four rounds, these were the leading scorers:
- Educated Friends (Fourscore): 157
- Transparent Eyeballs (Crooked Run): 156
- Samurai Trivia Players (Bear Brick Oven): 155
- Rail Splitters (Fourscore): 155
- Cat in the Chat (Loudoun Kitchen): 153
- Einsteins (Lone Oak): 153
FINAL QUESTION (8.49% success rate):
- What are the two most populous U. S. cities located on Interstate 15?
Teams needed to name both San Diego and Las Vegas to receive their final wager. Thursday’s game had no Perfect 21 teams. These were the final scoring leaders:
- Einsteins (Lone Oak): 160
- Mouse Rat (Aslin): 153
- Transparent Eyeballs (Crooked Run): 151
- Rail Splitters (Fourscore): 149
- Samurai Trivia Players (Bear Brick Oven): 147
- Donner Party People (Solace Outpost): 146
- Cat in the Chat (Loudoun Kitchen): 145
- Educated Friends (Fourscore): 145
- Khaki Scouts (Hops N Shine): 142
- BAMs (Aslin): 140
- DC Swampers (Lone Oak): 140
Smoketown Brewing Station in Brunswick, MD: Horseshoes and Hand Grenades (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: U.S. Military Ranks)
Lone Oak Farm Brewing in Olney, MD: Einsteins (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Philip K. Dick)
Fourscore Beer Co. in Gettysburg, PA: Rail Splitters (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Pac-12 Conference)
Michaux Brew in Waynesboro, PA: Mary, Queen of Scotch (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: LEGO)
Mookie’s BBQ in Great Falls, VA: Trivial Suspects (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Conan the Barbarian (original film))
Loudoun Kitchen and Bar in Leesburg, VA: Cat in the Chat (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Clue (film))
Olde Mother Brewing in Frederick, MD: Doodle Rebellion (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Harry Potter)
Belly Love Brewing in Purcellville, VA: Hillbilly Geniuses (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: The Fugitive (film))
Solace Brewing in Sterling, VA:
Brewery Fire in Taneytown, MD: THEME GAME (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe)
Crooked Run in Sterling, VA: Transparent Eyeballs (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: French Impressionist Painters)
Solace Outpost in Falls Church, VA: Donner Party People (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: National Football League)
Interchange Tiki Bar in Williamsport, MD: No Brainers (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Prince Songs)
Bear Brick Oven Pizza in Silver Spring, MD: Samurai Trivia Players (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Seinfeld Catchphrases)
Preston’s Pub in Manassas Park, VA: Pandas Need Beer (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Virginia History)
Aslin Beer Co in Alexandria, VA: Mouse Rat (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Pittsburgh Steelers)
Kalypso’s Sports Tavern in Reston, VA: Cabin Three (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Aaron Sorkin)
Steinhardt Brewing in Frederick, MD: Apocalypse Meow (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Brave New World)
Mile 20 at the Breeze in Herndon, VA: Threat Level Midnight (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: 1980s Rock)
Mustang Sally Brewing in Falls Church, VA: BLTS&M (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Buc-ee’s)
Hops N Shine in Alexandria, VA: Khaki Scouts (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Villanova)
Lake Linganore Association in New Market, MD: Diamond Dogs (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Dentistry)
Mark’s Pub in Falls Church, VA: C-Def (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Bossa Nova (audio))