Grin and (Polar) Bear It at Weekend Trivia!
Last weekend’s games of Pour House Trivia welcomed 71 teams across six venues.
Opening round topics from last weekend’s games included the Home Alone film franchise, deciduous (or baby) teeth, the paintings of the Sistine Chapel, and the film duo of Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito. Three weekend teams began their game with a perfect first round score: Ah Ha (Pretzel and Pizza), Dinos (Mason Social), and Lone Strangers (Mason Social).
The weekend audio questions featured the Nationwide advertising campaign with Peyton Manning and the work of a cappella music group Pentatonix. The second round also looked at Middle Eastern countries, the Presidency of Dwight Eisenhower, the Beastie Boys, and the Ice Bowl at the 1967 NFL Championship. Southpaw Fish (Belles’) earned the only perfect second round score last weekend.
Topics from the weekend halftime pages included films that take place across a span of less than 24 hours, short-lived breakfast cereal brands, and television families. Overall, four teams earned a perfect score of 20 points, while the average score reached 13.2 points. These were your highest scoring weekend teams at the halftime break:
- Southpaw Fish (Belles’): 90
- Alcoholics Unanimous (Dragon Distillery): 88
- Lone Strangers (Mason Social): 88
- Hydroponies (Pretzel and Pizza): 88
- FIVE TEAMS TIED WITH 87 POINTS
Third round topics from last weekend included singer Selena Gomez, U. S. Naval hero John Paul Jones, the stage musical The Phantom of the Opera, the lobes of the human brain, the game of chess, and Lyme disease. Three weekend teams notched a perfect third round score: Sexual Chocolate (Doc Waters), Nerd Birds (Pretzel and Pizza), and Quality Guesswork (Pretzel and Pizza).
Final round topics from last weekend included celebrities bearing the surname of Meyer, the Olympic event of pole vaulting, the Reconstruction Amendments, and MLB pitcher Max Scherzer. Our Friday teams were asked the most difficult bonus question of the weekend, which appeared in the form of a multiple choice question with an early answer bonus:
- With over 28,000 performances, which murder mystery is the longest running play in the history of the West End theatre district of London?
Nearly every Friday team decided to forgo the potential bonus and instead wait for the possible correct answers, while just three out of 53 Friday teams immediately responded correctly with the Agatha Christie play The Mouse Trap. As a result, none of our weekend teams posted a perfect final round score. Here is your overall weekend leaderboard after four rounds of play:
- Lone Strangers (Mason Social): 161
- Nerd Birds (Pretzel and Pizza): 160
- Sexual Chocolate (Doc Waters): 158
- Southpaw Fish (Belles’): 158
- Hydroponies (Pretzel and Pizza): 158
FRIDAY’S FINAL QUESTION (11.3% success rate):
- By banning the use of feathered hats from her social circle, Bostonian Harriet Hemenway inspired the creation of which organization in 1905?
SATURDAY’S FINAL QUESTION (80.0% success rate):
- What is the common two-word name of the animal species whose scientific name is Ursus Maritimus?
Hitting on a zoological theme last weekend, the correct answers to these final questions were the (National) Audubon Society and the polar bear. Congratulations to Southpaw Fish (Belles’) and Dinos (Mason Social), who each posted a Perfect 21 last weekend by answering all 21 wagering questions correctly. Here is your final weekend leaderboard:
- Nerd Birds (Pretzel and Pizza): 172
- Hydroponies (Pretzel and Pizza): 170
- Southpaw Fish (Belles’): 165
- Dinos (Mason Social): 165
- Murph’s Masters (Belles’): 164
- Maya’s People (Mason Social): 162
- Quality Guesswork (Pretzel and Pizza): 159
- Demented and Sad But Social (Belles’): 156
- Cultured Heathens (Pretzel and Pizza): 156
- Alcoholics Unanimous (Dragon Distillery): 156
Springfield Manor Winery in Thurmont, MD: HR Hoochies (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Science Fiction Films)
Dragon Distillery in Frederick, MD: Alcoholics Unanimous (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Seinfeld)
Doc Waters Cidery in Germantown. MD: SMRT (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Dinosaurs)
Belles’ Sports Bar in Frederick, MD: Southpaw Fish (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Constellations)
Pretzel and Pizza Creations in Hagerstown, MD: Nerd Birds (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Homestar Runner)
Mason Social in Alexandria, VA: Dinos (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Salem Witch Trials)