Don’t Step on a Butterfly at Weekend Trivia
Last weekend’s games of Pour House Trivia welcomed 36 teams across five venues.
Opening round topics from last weekend included animated animals, college basketball, the city of St. Petersburg, Russia, and the musical instruments, harp, triangle, and the flute. One team Shipwrecked (Dragon Distillery) began their game with a perfect first round score of 36 points.
Last weekend’s audio questions featured three-second song clips and celebrity impersonations. Other second round topics included gouda, The Bash Brothers, Harry Potter, the film Mrs. Doubtfire, and the tv series Survivor. Three teams Lone Strangers (Mason Social), Sexual Chocolate (Dragon Distillery) and Slightly Agitated (Belles’) earned a perfect score during last weekend’s second round.
Topics from last weekend’s halftime pages included Super Bowl moments and film posters that were in a Last Word / First Word format. Across the board, the overall average reached 14.7 points, with zero teams earning a perfect score. Here is last weekend’s halftime leaderboard:
- Lone Strangers (Mason Social): 91
- Slightly Agitated (Belles’): 89
- Cultured Heathens (Pretzel and Pizza Creations): 88
- Sexual Chocolate (Dragon Distillery): 86
- Peeping Tom Cruises (Pretzel and Pizza Creations): 86
- Smarter than a Second Grader (Pretzel and Pizza Creations): 86
Our Third Round this weekend featured the topics that included the author Nancy Drew, the Navy Bean, the shared name of Shroeder, and a question about the Winklevoss Twins from Facebook. Our weekend teams faced these difficult questions is Round Three.
- Among the chemical elements with two-letter symbols, which hree elements are comprised of CONSECUTIVE letters of the alphabet (in alphabetical order?)
- Among the ten men that won the Heisman Trophy during the 1980s, which three of them are now enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame?
Only about 25% of our teams earned their wagers by knowing the answers here are Cadmium (Cd), Manganese (Mn), Nobelium (No) and Marcus Allen (1981: USC), Tim Brown (1987: Notre Dame), Barry Sanders (1988: Oklahoma State.)
As a result of those questions none of our teams earned a perfect score in Round Three.
Final round topics from last weekend included the composers Bach and Handel, the film Titanic, General John Pershing, Fort Knox, and the Heinz company.
After four rounds of play, the weekend leaderboard included these teams:
- Lone Strangers (Mason Social): 161
- Sexual Chocolate (Dragon Distillery): 154
- Wigardium Mimosa (Mason Social): 153
- Smarty Pants (Belles’): 147
- Murph’s Masters (Belles’): 145
FRIDAY’S FINAL QUESTION (18.2% success rate):
- The four presidents depicted on Mount Rushmore were born in which three different states?
SATURDAY FINAL QUESTION (43.8% success rate):
- Although it was originally coined by meteorologist Edward Lorenz in the 1960s, which phrase is often thought to have first appeared in Ray Bradbury’s short story “A Sound of Thunder”, in which a hunter from the year 2055 travels back in time to kill a Tyrannosaurus Rex?
These respective correct answers were Virginia, New York, and Kentucky and Butterfly Effect. None of our teams earned a Perfect 21 by answering all 21 wagering questions correctly. Here is your final weekend leaderboard:
- Sexual Chocolate (Dragon Distillery): 160
- Lone Strangers (Mason Social): 156
- Smarter than a Second Grader (Belles’): 152
- Demented and Sad but Social (Belles’): 148
- Exhausted and Terrified (Dragon Distillery): 147
- Slightly Agitated (Flying Ace Farm): 146
- Wigardium Mimosa (Mason Social): 142
- E = MC Squared (Belles’): 141
- Quality Guesswork (Pretzel and Pizza Creations): 140
- Smarty Pants (Belles’): 138
Springfield Manor Winery in Thurmont, MD: NO GAME THIS WEEK (NEXT GAME ON MARCH 4 – FIRST CATEGORY: Magic)
P. B. Dye Golf Course in Ijamsville, MD: NO GAME THIS WEEK (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: The Rocky Horror Picture Show)
Dragon Distillery in Frederick, MD: Sexual Chocolate ( FIRST CATEGORY ON JAN. 28: H.P. Lovecraft)
Flying Ace Farm in Lovettsville, VA: Slightly Agitated (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: U.S. Presidents)
Belles’ Sports Bar in Frederick, MD: Smarter than a Second Grader (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Assassinations)
Pretzel and Pizza Creations in Hagerstown, MD: Quality Guesswork (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: United States of Tara)
Mason Social in Alexandria, VA: Lone Strangers (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: 21st Century Washington, DC Sports History)