Come On Baby… Let’s Do Monday Trivia!
Monday’s game of Pour House Trivia welcomed 76 teams across seven venues.
In a break from normalcy, Monday’s game opened with a rather difficult question. We asked our teams a three-part question regarding notable people who passed away on August 2, but only about half of the field earned wagering points with any two of the three correct answers of Old West gunslinger “Wild Bill” Hickok, U.S. President Warren Harding, and puppeteer Shari Lewis. We continued with a look at the literary work of Edgar Allan Poe, clog dancing, and Canadian cities. Four teams broke from the pack with a perfect first round score: Cobra Kai (DRP), H. R. Puff ‘N’ Stuff (DRP), Burning Dog Poo and the Human Response (Rockwell), and MC (Il Forno).
Monday’s audio question featured a clip of actor Craig T. Nelson from the 21st century television drama Parenthood. Other second round topics included the recently traded MLB pitcher Max Scherzer, the religious denomination of Methodism, and the soundtrack for the Marvel film Guardians of the Galaxy, the latter of which provided our teams with the most difficult bonus question of the night:
- What is the colorful name of the music group featured on this album’s opening track?
Only nine teams remembered that the opening song on this soundtrack was Hooked on a Feeling by Blue Swede. As a result, none of our Monday teams posted 36 points in the second round.
Characters in top hats and U.S. cities were the featured topics on Monday’s halftime page. The field breezed through these questions, as 16 teams notched a perfect score of 20 points, while the overall averaged reached a robust 18.5 points. Here is Monday’s halftime leaderboard:
- Cobra Kai (DRP): 90
- Hipster Fashion Consultants (DRP): 88
- MC (Il Forno): 86
- Worst Case Ontario (DRP): 85
- Legalized Gambling (DRP): 85
- Pointless (Bushwaller’s): 85
Topics from Monday’s third stanza included the country music group the Zac Brown Band, the Waldorf Salad, rebellious historic figures, and Radio Shack. With most teams cruising towards a perfect score, we closed the third round with its most difficult question:
- One year before the family traveled to Hawaii, the third season of The Brady Bunch began with a three-part episode filmed on location at which American tourist destination?
After discussing the work of filmmaker Wes Craven in the 6-4-2 question, Monday’s final round featured topics such as the Edmonton Oilers, the Doris Kearns Goodwin book Team of Rivals, the color yellow, and the nation of Suriname. As the most difficult bonus question of the round, ten teams remembered that Paramaribo is the capital of the only Dutch-speaking country on the South American mainland. Hipster Fashion Consultants (DRP) showed off its geography chops by earning 36 points in Monday’s final round. After four rounds of play, these were your highest scoring Monday teams:
- Cobra Kai (DRP): 158
- Hipster Fashion Consultants (DRP): 156
- Auburn Pillagers (DRP): 155
- Worst Case Ontario (DRP): 154
- F. U. Covid (Mark’s): 154
FINAL QUESTION (7.9% success rate):
- Doing so in 1960 and 1962 with the same singer, what was the first song to top the Billboard Hot 100 chart in each of two different runs on the chart?
For the second week in a row, the success rate on the final question fell below ten percent, as only six teams responded correctly with The Twist by Chubby Checker. None of our teams recorded a Perfect 21 on Monday by answering all 21 wagering questions correctly. Here is Monday’s final overall leaderboard:
- Hipster Fashion Consultants (DRP): 168
- Living the Dream (Cushwa): 153
- Wednesday (Bushwaller’s): 149
- F. U. Covid (Mark’s): 149
- Trivia Nerd Fisticuffs (Highline RxR): 147
- Cobra Kai (DRP): 146
- Team Holt (Bushwaller’s): 143
- Hoosier Daddy (Highline RxR): 143
- Treble Makers (Rockwell): 143
- Pointless (Bushwaller’s): 142
DRP in Alexandria, VA: Hipster Fashion Consultants (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: National Capitals)
Cushwa Brewing in Williamsport, MD: Living the Dream (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Sociology)
Bushwaller’s in Frederick, MD: Wednesday (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Fear Street)
Rockwell Brewery in Frederick, MD: Treble Makers (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Nicholas Sparks Novels)
Mark’s Pub in Falls Church, VA: F. U. Covid (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Darts)
Highline RxR in Arlington, VA: Trivia Nerd Fisticuffs (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: African Nations)
Il Forno Pizzeria in Frederick, MD: MC (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Strange Brew)