Blessing the Rains Down in Africa at Wednesday Trivia
Wednesday’s game of Pour House Trivia welcomed 96 teams across ten venues.
Wednesday’s opening round featured such topics as the religious holiday Epiphany, a presidential question where the answers were John F. Kennedy and Gerald Ford, we then moved on to the Detroit Lions before finishing the round with a three clues / one name question where we were looking for the name of Joshua.
Eight teams took advantage of the first round with a perfect score of 36 points.
Wednesday’s audio question featured clips from the tv theme songs of The Rockford Files, Rugrats, and Hawaii Five-O. Other second round topics included the advertising mascot Charlie Tuna, and the Fountain of Youth. we then took an Insanity work out class before finishing up the round with state geography where we asked our teams to name the states that border both Nebraska and Oklahoma. Those answers were Colorado, Kansas and Missouri. Despite some strong scores in Round Two only one team earned a perfect 36 points to close out a perfect second round: Stink Floyd (Belles’ Sports Bar ).
Wednesday’s halftime page featured primates and actors and their roles. The average score reached 16.8 points, while eight teams earned a perfect 20 on their halftime score. These were your highest scoring teams at Wednesday’s halftime break:
- Stink Floyd (Belles’ Sports Bar ): 90
- Demented and Sad but Social (Belles’ Sports Bar ): 88
- Here for the Beer (Axes and O’s): 88
- We Thought this was Speed Dating (GearHouse Brewing): 88
- Glad to Be Here (Memories Charcoal House): 88
Wednesday’s third stanza began with a question about the Sesame Street character Zoe, we then switched gears completely and immediately asked a question about alcohol where Grand Marnier, Triple Sec, and Cointreau are all flavored with orange. Other topics included answers that were also the names of websites, where the answers were Yahoo, Bing, and Amazon, the late jazz great BB King, and we finished up the round with a question about the country of Denmark.
Round Three also gave us the most difficult question of the night on the subject of A+B=C, but with a Star Wars twist.
- A = The “episode number” of the film in which Princess Leia says: “I have a bad feeling about this”B = The number of meters in width of the Death Star’s thermal exhaust port, the eventual target for the destruction of the Death Star.
A little under 1/4 of our teams were able to piece those clues together where A = 5 and B = 2 so C= 7
As a result of that question none of our teams earned a perfect 36 points in Round Three.
After going ski jumping for the 6-4-2 question we began Round Four. Final round topics from Wednesday night included actresses who won the Best Actress Oscar for their film debuts, which included Julie Andrews and Barbra Streisand.
Other topics included malaria, the Macedonian Alexander the Great, and we finished the night with two-letter answers where were BB, CD, and AS (American Samoa). Vixen (Memories Charcoal House) posted the only perfect score of Wednesday’s final round. After four rounds of play, these teams topped the overall leaderboard:
- Stink Floyd (Belles’ Sports Bar ): 157
- What the Fork (TGI Fridays): 157
- Vixen (Memories Charcoal House): 156
- Archived (GearHouse Brewing): 155
- We Thought this was Speed Dating (GearHouse Brewing): 155
- Let’s Get Quizzical (Hops N Shine): 155
FINAL QUESTION (55.2% success rate):
- Though the island of Madagascar lies further east, which country is home to the easternmost point on the African mainland?
A little over half of our teams responded correctly with the Somalia. One team, Archived (GearHouse Brewing) posted a Perfect 21 by answering every wagering question correctly. Wednesday’s final leaderboard included these teams:
- Vixen (Memories Charcoal House): 168
- Archived (GearHouse Brewing): 167
- We Thought this was Speed Dating (GearHouse Brewing): 167
- Stink Floyd (Belles’ Sports Bar ): 163
- Demented and Sad but Social (Belles’ Sports Bar ): 162
- Tokyo Sex Whale (Belles’ Sports Bar ): 161
- Marco Polo and the Peanuts (Idiom): 161
- Here for the Beer (Axes and O’s): 161
- Stink Fist (Idiom): 160
- Kiwi Clinchers (Idiom): 160
Falling Branch Brewery in Street, MD: Hops on Top (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Looney Tunes)
Belles’ Sports Bar in Frederick, MD: Stink Floyd (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
Memories Charcoal House in Mount Airy, MD: Vixen (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Fraggle Rock)
TGI Fridays in Hagerstown, MD: What the Fork (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: “We Didn’t Start the Fire”)
Idiom Brewing in Frederick, MD: Marco Polo and the Peanuts (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Elizabeth Holmes)
Axes and O’s in Sterling, VA: Here for the Beer (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Beer Brewing)
Hops N Shine in Alexandria, VA: Let’s Get Quizzical (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Surgical Instruments)
Sully’s Pour House in Herndon, VA: Cash Money Hoes (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Saved By the Bell)
T. J. Stone’s in Alexandria, VA: Trending Towards Fourth (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Green Bay Packers
Comus Inn in Dickerson, MD: NO GAME THIS WEEK (FIRST CATEGORY ON JANUARY 12: Light Beer Brands)