An Olympic Weekend of Pour House Trivia!
With winter finally behind us, our weekend schedule brought in 44 teams across four venues:
While our Saturday teams did encounter many problems with their opening round set, our Friday teams closed their opening round with a Triple 50/50 question concerning celebrity siblings. When asked to name the older sibling in three different pairs of siblings, many of our teams were surprised to learn which of these two actors is older:
Believe it or not, it’s actually Owen Wilson (on the right) that is nearly three years older than his brother Luke. As a result, all five of the perfect first round scores from the weekend were turned in on Saturday. Our audio clues dealt with James Bond music and songs which contain the word “Follow” in the title. We also looked at birthstones with four-letter names (opal and ruby), Asian geography, and this piece of theatrical entertainment:
Brand names were the theme of both halftime pages this weekend, as we looked at canned food labels and corporate logos. Across the board, the overall average score reached 17.7, with 11 teams recording a perfect 20 points. These were our top scores of the weekend at the halftime break:
- Uncle Jack (Belles’): 92
- Give Us Your Beer Money (Pretzel & Pizza Creations): 89
- Village Idiots (Vanish Brewery): 88
- Fan Club (Vanish Brewery): 87
- I Am Smartacus (Vanish Brewery): 87
Friday’s second half opened with our most difficult bonus question of the weekend, as we asked our teams to name the actors who made the following big screen debuts:
1) The precocious Gertie in “E.T. The Extra Terrestrial”.
2) A former altar boy named Aaron Stampler in “Primal Fear”.
3) The reclusive Arthur “Boo” Radley in “To Kill a Mockingbird”.
Only two of our Friday teams earned bonus points with the three correct answers of Drew Barrymore, Edward Norton, and Robert Duvall. Meanwhile, our Saturday teams were quizzed on this series about to end its nine-year run on the air:
We saw three perfect third scores: Tequila Mockingbird (Vanish Brewery), Uncle Jack (Belles’), and Cultured Heathens (Pretzel & Pizza Creations). Friday’s final round featured questions on the different levels of tea quality, the olive branch, and these exotic animals:
Saturday’s final round featured a question on the 2018 Winter Olympics, as only two teams were able to name both of top two countries on the medal count: Norway and Germany. The final question of the night also proved to be quite difficult, coming in the form of the Three Clues question:
CLUE 1: During the Civil War, he rose to the rank of Major General as command of the 42nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry.
CLUE 2: His Cabinet included Secretary of State James Blaine and Secretary of War Robert Todd Lincoln.
Sure, this may sound like a description of Ulysses Grant, but after Andrew Johnson left office in 1869, each of our next three U.S. Presidents were former Civil War Generals from Ohio. These two clues described the third of those three men: James Garfield. The final round did not yield any perfect scores on either night this weekend. Here are your weekend’s top scores after the fourth round:
- Uncle Jack (Belles’): 164
- Give Us Your Beer Money (Pretzel & Pizza Creations): 163
- Village Idiots (Vanish Brewery): 156
- I Am Smartacus (Vanish Brewery): 155
- THREE TEAMS TIED WITH 153
FRIDAY’S FINAL QUESTION (15.4% success rate):
–> Among the eight men who ascended to the office of Commander-in-Chief after the death of a sitting President, who was the first to subsequently win a Presidential election. Name him.
SATURDAY’S FINAL QUESTION (14.3% success rate):
–> For your wager, which western U.S. state capital ranks as the 24th most populous city in its home state, the lowest ranking of any state capital?
Both of our final questions were on the rather difficult side this weekend, as Friday saw four teams arrive at the correct answer of Theodore Roosevelt, while just two teams picked up points on Saturday’s final question with Olympia (Washington). As a result, only Cultured Heathens (Pretzel & Pizza Creations) earned the Perfect 21 this weekend. Here are your top overall scores from last weekend:
- Village Idiots (Vanish Brewery): 168
- Tequila Mockingbird (Vanish Brewery): 165
- Give Us Your Beer Money (Pretzel & Pizza Creations): 162
- Cultured Heathens (Pretzel & Pizza Creations): 162
- His and Her Peas (Vanish Brewery): 160
- This is How We Go Down (Springfield Manor): 156
- Uncle Jack (Belles’): 152
- I Am Smartacus (Vanish Brewery): 146
- Channel Four News (Vanish Brewery): 146