Always Faithful to Monday Trivia!
Monday’s game of Pour House Trivia welcomed 72 teams across seven venues.
Opening round topics from Monday night included U.S. Presidents whose names end with ‘SON’, Rubbermaid taglines, the states that border Illinois, and TV love triangles. Our Monday teams hit very few speed bumps in the opening stanza, as ten teams posted 36 points en route to a perfect first round.
Monday’s audio question featured three songs whose titles include the word ‘Best’. We listened to You’re My Best Friend by Queen, Save the Best for Last by Vanessa Williams, and Best Day of My Life by American Authors. From there, we discussed the current Marvel film Black Widow, the equine character of Eeyore, and the sport of rugby, the latter of which included the most difficult bonus question of the first half. Across the board, only five teams knew that rugby union features teams of fifteen players each during live play. As a result, Monday’s second round did not yield any perfect scores.
The top half of Monday’s halftime page asked our teams to identify films that combined live action with animation, while the bottom half featured a matching section concerning alma maters of NFL stars. About one-quarter of the field recorded a perfect score of 20 points, as the overall average reached 14.8 points. Here is Monday’s halftime leaderboard:
- That’s So Clavin (Cushwa): 90
- Cheddar Biscuits (Mark’s): 90
- Hipster Fashion Consultants (DRP): 90
- Auburn Pillagers (DRP): 88
- Mean Girls (DRP): 88
After opening Monday’s second half with a relatively easy question regarding 20th century novels with numerical titles, we threw a one-two punch that knocked most of our teams to the canvas. First up, a question concerning a new animated television series:
- Debuting today on HBO Max, a children’s animated series depicts a seven-year-old version of which daytime talk show host?
With most of the field submitting a guess of Oprah Winfrey, only ten teams gave us the correct response of Ellen DeGeneres. The second half of this gauntlet was a question asked in the Name That Year format. Our teams were given a five-year window either way to determine the year in which these three events occurred:
- Oregon becomes the first U.S. state to implement a gasoline tax.
- Felix the Cat is introduced in the animated short Feline Follies.
- The Green Bay Packers are founded.
Most of the field landed their response far too late, as each of these events occurred in the year 1919. It certainly would have helped our players if they had recalled this commemorate patch. Even after closing the round with easier questions regarding human senses and military matters, none of our Monday teams posted a perfect third round score.
Topics from Monday’s final round included European national capitals, classic Hollywood star Carmen Miranda, the various uses of the word ‘shredder’, the alternate rock band Chevelle, and NFL quarterbacks. Six teams racked up a perfect 36 points in their final round. After four rounds of play, these were your highest scoring teams:
- That’s So Clavin (Cushwa): 157
- Worst Case Ontario (DRP): 156
- George Washington’s Camel (DRP): 153
- F. U. Covid (Mark’s): 152
- Auburn Pillagers (DRP): 151
FINAL QUESTION (44.4% success rate):
- The Battle of Chapultepec and the Battle of Derna are referenced in the opening lyrics of which song?
Nearly half of Monday’s field knew that these two battles are referenced as “The Halls of Montezuma” and “The Shores of Tripoli” in the Marines’ Hymn. Thanks to the third round, none of our Monday teams posted a Perfect 21 by answering all 21 wagering questions correctly. Here is Monday’s final leaderboard:
- Worst Case Ontario (DRP): 166
- George Washington’s Camel (DRP): 165
- Auburn Pillagers (DRP): 163
- Talk Nerdy to Me (DRP): 161
- Just Good Enough (Rockwell): 161
- Satchel of Richards (Rockwell): 160
- Cobra Kai (DRP): 159
- H. R. Puff ‘N’ Stuff (DRP): 159
- That’s So Clavin (Cushwa): 159
- Gong Gong and the Butt Demons (Cushwa): 158
DRP in Alexandria, VA: Worst Case Ontario (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Japanese History)
Cushwa Brewing in Williamsport, MD: That’s So Clavin (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: 2021 NFL Season – Week 1)
Bushwaller’s in Frederick, MD: The Gang Plays Bar Trivia (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Ancient Military History)
Rockwell Brewery in Frederick, MD: Just Good Enough (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown)
Mark’s Pub in Falls Church, VA: F. U. Covid (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Famous People Named Cody)
Highline RxR in Arlington, VA: Gabagoons (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: U. S. Civil War Battles)
Il Forno Pizzeria in Frederick, MD: That’s a Bingo (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Four-Legged Animals)