A Valiant Effort at Wednesday Trivia
Wednesday’s opening round featured the following categories, Celebrity Commonalities, MLB Potpourri, Comedic Characters, Edible Brand Names.
This round had a very high success rate with our field as 15 teams took advantage of the tough bonuses and ended the first round with a perfect score of 36 points.
Our Second Round categories on Wednesday were Karaoke Music (AUDIO), Languages, We Share a First Name, Medical Terms, Caribbean Islands.
While the majority of our teams earned some high scores in Round Two the most difficult question in the round was actually our audio clue. Only 65% of our teams recognized the karaoke versions of songs from The Police, Alanis Morissette, and Taylor Swift.
Wednesday’s halftime page featured cast members from Saturday Night Live and beer brand origins. The average score reached 16.9 points, while 25 teams earned a perfect 20 on their halftime score. These were your highest scoring teams at Wednesday’s halftime break:
- What the Fork (TGI Fridays): 91
- Archived (GearHouse Brewing): 91
- Tokyo Sex Whale (Belles’): 90
- Sexual Chocolate (Memories Charcoal House): 90
- Let’s Have Another Round (T. J. Stone’s): 90
Wednesday’s third stanza featured the categories of Rock Operas, U.S. History, Three Clues / One Word, Holidays, Scientific Namesakes.
Round Three’s most difficult question was on the topic of Holidays.
- Here in the U.S., Labor Day is celebrated each September. The foreign equivalent of this holiday, International Workers’ Day, is most often celebrated on the first day of which other month?
57% of our teams gave us the correct answer of May.
No teams earned a perfect 36 points in Round Three.
After reading a little Pride & Prejudice for the 6-4-2 question we began Round Four. Final round topics from Wednesday night included:
The most difficult question was found in the category of Identical Titles.
- Which two-word title is shared by a song from the rock band Cream and a comedy film featuring the characters of Bob and Doug McKenzie?
38% of our teams found their way to the correct answer of Strange Brew.
Once again no teams earned perfect score of Wednesday’s final round. After four rounds of play, these teams topped the overall leaderboard:
- Sexual Chocolate (Memories Charcoal House): 162
- Archived (GearHouse Brewing): 162
- Wonder Boys (T. J. Stone’s): 157
- I Don’t Know (T. J. Stone’s): 157
- 4 TEAMS TIED AT 156
FINAL QUESTION (50.9% success rate):
- The letters in a word meaning “brave” can be rearranged to get an adjective describing someone from a particular Baltic republic. What are those two words?
Around half of the field earned their wagers on the final by knowing these words were Valiant and Latvian. Six of our teams posted a Perfect 21 by answering every wagering question correctly. Wednesday’s final leaderboard included these teams:
- Sexual Chocolate (Memories Charcoal House): 174
- Archived (GearHouse Brewing): 174
- Wonder Boys (T. J. Stone’s): 169
- I Don’t Know (T. J. Stone’s): 169
- Scott Looks Different (Memories Charcoal House): 168
- Virtual Cigar (Hops N Shine): 168
- Pterodactyl (Memories Charcoal House): 167
- Titanic was an Inside Job (Hops N Shine): 167
- The Gang Plays Bar Trivia (Belles’): 166
- Stink Floyd (Belles’): 165
Moe’s Peyton Place in Springfield, VA: That’s What She Said (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Disney Theme Parks)
Falling Branch Brewery in Street, MD: Cornbread (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: HVAC)
Belles’ Sports Bar in Frederick, MD: The Gang Plays Bar Trivia (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans)
Memories Charcoal House in Mount Airy, MD: Sexual Chocolate (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Famous Bald People)
TGI Fridays in Hagerstown, MD: What the Fork (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Lord of the Rings – Books)
Idiom Brewing in Frederick, MD: Stinkfist (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Maple Syrup)
Axes and O’s in Sterling, VA: Just Here for the Beer (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Harry Potter)
Hops N Shine in Alexandria, VA: Virtual Cigar (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Doctor Who)
Sully’s Pour House in Herndon, VA: Black Zexcellence (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Def Comedy Jam)
T. J. Stone’s in Alexandria, VA: Norse Mythology (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Norse Mythology)
Mark’s Pub in Falls Church, VA: South Paws (NEXT WEEK’S FIRST CATEGORY: Norman Lear Comedies)